Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud King 35's...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevcarr59, Jun 12, 2004.

1. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

Mud King 35\'s...

My son has a 74 Scout with a set of 33 Mud Kings on it. Seems to be pretty good off-road... What is your opinion on the 35's for my 78 Blazer?? Right now its stock but in the process of putting a 4" lift under it. Will the 3.42 ratio gears be able to turn a tire that size??

How hard to find gears for that axle and price.. Just a few questions to ponder... Thanxs in advance for your input...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Mud King 35\'s...

[ QUOTE ]
    My son has a 74 Scout with a set of 33 Mud Kings on it. Seems to be pretty good off-road... What is your opinion on the 35's for my 78 Blazer?? Right now its stock but in the process of putting a 4" lift under it. Will the 3.42 ratio gears be able to turn a tire that size??

How hard to find gears for that axle and price.. Just a few questions to ponder... Thanxs in advance for your input...

[/ QUOTE ]3.42's would probley turn them, but it'd be a pooch, and may burn up a automadic transmission. I find it cheaper to swap the whole axles. You can usely get a set of axles from a K20 for around $300.00 I paid $250.00 for mine. They are a strait bolt in, and already have the lower gears you'll need. Only thing is you'll have to use a 8-lug rim.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: Mud King 35\'s...

It will turn them, Might not like it much. The axel swap idea seems to be the best(cheapest) way to gear up. I did my first 3/4 ton swap in a 76. Found a 78 3/4 ton truck with a d44/14ff combo with 4.10's. Bought the whole truck with a blown engine for 200.00. I am doing an 89 now. I plan on running 35's. Doing gear swaps to 4.10's in the 10 bolts. No need to over kill on axels, Just a plow/daily driver.