Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud KIngs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer_boy_15, Dec 3, 2001.

1. blazer_boy_15

blazer_boy_15 Registered Member

anybody running these? if so can you tell me about how they perform on and off road.

2. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I'm running Mud Kings, 35x12.50x15. Good tires for the price but they aren't true 35s. I think they measured out to 34.4" or somewhere around there. But for the price I couldn't resist. I think a lot of so called 35" tires measure out to be less though. I've aired them down to 18psi on several occasions without incident. Blew a sidewall only once because of a defect in the tire. A seam tore and created a bulge in the sidewall. Got it replaced for free. Road manners are acceptable and they don't wear too quickly.

Overall, a decent tire for the bugdet-minded.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got 33's, never had a problem with them.... I like them and for the price can't beat em. They are made by BFG too.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

4. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Didn't know they were made by BFG. That would explain their good tread wear! I would buy them again if my rig was a daily driver. I'm thinking about going with Super Swamper TSLs this time around.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Liberation&gt;http://communities.msn.com/Liberation&lt;/a&gt;
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator&gt;http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Liberator on 12/03/01 06:36 PM.</FONT></P>

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of these. I got 2 new one and 2 used ones with good tread on them. A year later I noticed that the 2 new ones were splitting down the middle like a bagel. So I returned them and they gave me some new ones. Well after just a month the new ones were doing the same thing. The tire company eventually just took all 4 tires back and gave me credit for them and I got some different ones. I don't know if I just had 2 bad batches or what but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have Mud Kings and I love them. I got a great deal on them at work so I couldnt refuse. You wont be disappointed. And Steph, Im not trying to be picky or a know it all, but the company that makes mud kings is called Mast and is owned by Michelin, which is a better company that BFG anyway, which may explain why they wear so good.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure that the Mud Kings are made by BFG. When I was having the problem with mine I called BFG's customer service and that is why the tire shop gave me a full refund on the tires. Cause BFG told them to.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hmm, all I know is that at work we give the people that buy them a Michelin warranty card and all the info Ive ever seen points to Michelin owning the Mast brand name. Maybe BFG and Michelin are merged together or something. Anyway, damn good tires.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

9. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

well they used to be made by bfg, I thought they were made by fisk now though - Doug

Doug Krebs

10. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

hey wasn't matt running mud kings out to hollister? the ones that blew out on the free way?

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah Matt had Mud Kings. He did blow one out on the freeway, but have you seen him drive? He could blow any tire out! But he ran Tank Trap with them and they held up fine for him....

As for who they are made by. I bought a set 3 years ago and they were made by BFG then..... maybe they got sold since then like Cepek got bought by MT. But I remember the America's Tire Co guy saying if I liked the BFG's but didn't have the funds the Mud Kings were made by them but just their off brand name generic ones....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

12. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

yeah i seen him drive. some what. but form what i have seen he drives kinda like me.

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

michelin and bfg are a merged company. my friends dad works for michelin and he gets discounts or something like that on bfg cuss his dad said that they own or are partners with bfg. i fergot which. just to let ya'll know. lol. later

jacob

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Basically same tread pattern as BFG Mud Terrain. They look pretty decent to me. (I have the BFGs)

I think they're made from a harder rubber. It wouldn't surprise me if they lasted longer than a set of BFGs.

They really should make a mud tire from a really, really hard tread pattern anyway. If you're not a rock crawler you wouldn't care anyway. In the mud you only need tread depth, a softer compound doesn't really help. I don't know what the tire manufacturers are thinking.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Warning: My opinion below. Read at your own risk
    Esteban, Liberator, and Matt all had problems with the quality of the tire and people are still recomending them? What am I missing? I was behind Matt when his front right 35" MK blew on the fwy. We were doing about 75 and it just straight blew. No warning or anything. Not fun on a lifted truck (esp. w/ such a tall sidewall). Matt also blew a second tire in the Tank Trap. He would have been barowing my 33" spair for the 350 mi drive home if he didn't bring 2 spairs. I see no reason to not spend the extra $$$ to save such hassle.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Tim, I think you're on the money about the Mud King's hardness. My set of Mud Kings refuses to wear out and I refuse to buy a new sit of much needed 37's until these wear out. Burn out, etc. and they have tons of depth still. I'm starting to think the sidewalls will crack from exposure to the elements before the tread wears down.
    They would probably suck on rocks.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

From what I remember reading about the Mud Kings is that they are made by BFG. BFG &amp; Michelin are partners or the same company too. The only draw back to the Mud Kings, is I remeber reading that there sidewall is only 2 ply, where the BFG Mud Terrain is 3 ply. As for the seperation problems. Dad originally bought my set of BFG All Terrains, in 92 or so. We had 3 sets of BFG's get factory warranties because they had pimple seperations between the tread. I don't know if it was a design flaw or just bad luck on my part.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.