Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud not coming off HELP!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 22, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I went muddin' last monday and washed it off Thursday. Then washed it real good Fri, Sat and today. The mud is all off, but it left this stain or something on my paint. You can still see where all the mud was. I have a new paint job, so this makes me a little mad. Does anyone know how to get this crap off? Thanks

90K5

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BTW I used Dawn dishwashing soap on it today and no luck.

90K5

3. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

You might try a polishing compound. That would suck with a new paint job though. They make some real non-abrasive ones that are really good. I would use it as a last resort though.
    Good luck

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

4. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

JUST SOAK IT DOWN WITH SOME CAR WASH SOAP AND SCRUB, IT SHOULD COME RIGHT OFF.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How old is the paint job and how was it done?

Hey, if the stains don't come off, how about just covering the entire surface of the Blazer with mud? Then it'll all be even. :)

No, seriously, I understand the feelings that come with shelling out the dough for a paint job. Sorry to hear about your trouble.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

6. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Hey 90K5. I am assuming by your name that you have one. Just had a question about your paint. My hood is starting to crack all over the place. Not sure if this is because of me or if it is just normal. Why did you get a new paint job?
    Thanks
    ps: if you do go the polishing route make sure you wax your vehicle afterwards.

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey Rich, welcome to the beauty of the 90 K5. From what I have read, the 90 K5s (and I think the 89s and 91s, but don't quote me on that) had a bad primer on 'em. It was some kinda new (I think experimental) primer. The problem was that after a few years, the paint seperated from the primer and just peeled off. I heard they repainted them for free until 95. A pseudo-recall if you will [​IMG].

I have about 5 spots on my hood, the piece with the air vents is about bare, and there are about 10 other spots total around my truck that are peeling. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Nothing much to do but get it repainted (all the way down to the metal I believe). Sorry for the bad news [​IMG]! I bet you still love it though!

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

8. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Panther,
    Here's the deal with that primer, or actually the lack of. During the early 90's (not sure of the years) the big three tried out a new sealer, that supposedly had the adhesive properties of primer. So in an attempt to lower costs, they stopped using primer all together. Before cars would be sealed then primed then painted. So they started painting the cars right over the sealer. Well they thought the paint would stick to the sealer and it didn't, hince the "flaker".
    90K5,
    First of all NEVER use dishing washing liquid to wash your rig, it will kill the paint. Use liquid car wash soap available at your local Auto Zone or Pep Boys. The newer ones actually have wax in them so by washing your car you're actually adding a layer of wax at the same time. I tried it the other day and it works pretty well. Not too expensive either.
    About your paint job. How long ago did you have it painted? And was the paint cured in an oven? I hate to scare you but it's possible to leave watermarks on a new paint job if it hasn't been cured. Call the guy who painted it, but honestly, it doesn't sound to good, I hope I'm wrong.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

9. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I had heard about the primer problem but did not know they stopped using it all together. I plan on just using a DA sander to get the rough stuff out and then spray paint from the store. Any suggestions on a brand or any do's or dont's on this process?
    Thanks.

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Rich,
    Are you really going to go with spray paint? Just asking. Not my choice of painting method, but it's your rig. Well here's some advice. Don't just sand off the spot, sand off the whole panel, if you only do the spot the rest might flake later. To get the paint dust off it's safe to wash it off, but dry the panel off immediately with a clean dry rag, cotton preferably. I would also go over the panel with a rag with cleaner/degreaser on it. You can buy it at a auto body supply store, pretty cheap and eliminates fish eyes. Fish eyes are bare spots were grease/oil prevent the paint from sticking to the panel. You could also go over it with a tack rag, too just for good measure. Once you do this don't touch the panel with bare hands as the oil on your skin can also cause fish eyes. Let it dry, and then you could lay some primer or paint directly if you wish. I've found Krylon to be the best other brands are good too, and remember not to "pour" the paint on or you'll get runs. Spray paint isn't the best way to paint a panel, but if it's cool with you, then that's cool. Just so you know, it's pretty hard to even coverage out of a spray can, so the results might not be what you expect, good luck.[​IMG]

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got it repainted because of the bad primer or lack of primer or whatevre the problem was.

90K5

12. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I would try to use dishwashing soap. Here is the reason. It's kind of a harsh detergent but unabrasive. The reason it kills paint is it strips every last bit of wax (if you have any yet) and people don't wax after so you have unprotected paint hense the death. Try that first then if that doesn't work then just use compound. It's nothing to worry about. Stains on paint are usually just stuck on mud which doesn't come off with normal washing. Being your paint is new you probably haven't washed it. Wax is like teflon on a pan since you don't have the "teflon" your bacon and eggs stuck......

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

13. Hey rich'90,I sanded mine down and painted it flat black!!It its not the best looking stuff bud I don't mind going through the woods though,if you scratch it just sand a little and spray a little more on!!LOL But hay I built mine for wheeling,no to look at.To each his just my $.02
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

14. Hey rich'90,I sanded mine down and painted it flat black!!It its not the best looking stuff but I don't mind going through the woods though,if you scratch it just sand a little and spray a little more on!!LOL But hay I built mine for wheeling,no to look at.To each his just my $.02
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I used dish soap for the second time and still nada. I was gonna use some compound, but couldn't find it. Should that work?

90K5

16. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

Hey while we are on the suject of mud not coming off and painting. i have mud on my hearders it won't wash off. i think its baked on them. i try and wash it off everytime i get near a hose and have my truck. i have eventried steelwhole. but can't get in the hard to reach places and just scratch up everything.i have the thermal coated headers to keep engen comp temp down, and i like the way they look. but they have faded and now have brown spots on them. needles to say not to impresed. any way how do i get the mud off of them?

Talldogg,
    that Krylon, get the kind u hook up to a comperser and a spray can and spary i down ater preping it right? dose it come in dark greay primer?

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

17. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I hate to tell you this but i bet your paint is stained. Leaving mud on paint jobs is no bueno. My friend left some on his 78 bronco and stained it all over. Don't leave mud sit on your truck longer than it has too. I know it is cool to roll into the parking lot at school and be covered in it. I personally like to drive down the road and watch the clumps fall of and explode on the road. I think the best way to get mud off, is to get it when it is wet.

Doug Krebs

18. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Diddo to what Doug said. Especially if the paint wasn't cured. Here's the deal with curing a paint. Remember that paint is nothing more than chemicals, and these chemicals give off fumes when going through the drying phase. If you wax (or cover with mud, in this case) the paint before it cures you are locking in those fumes that are trying to escape, thus staining the paint. Did you ever ask the guy who painted it if the paint was cured? Also how long after it was painted did you get the mud on it?

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got it painted back in march so its cured by now. I got it off today with some Turtle Wax tar and bug remover. I'm waxin' her this weekend.

90K5