Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud-prepped axles questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88trailblazer, Mar 20, 2005.

1. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

:confused: I need some help. Earlier today we were playing in the mud with my '88 when we got stuck. We were finaly winched out an hour later by an '82 Land Cruiser:frown1: that was passing by. The problem is that this area wasn't that bad compared to the rest of the trails.

I currently have a 4in Rough Country lift with a set of 35x12.50R15 Mickey Tompson MTX's. I still have the stock 10 bolt front and rear axles. What other options do I have other than a full axle swap ($$$$)? I have been thinking about installing a Detroit Locker in the rear but that would not leave me with enough cash to do the front end. Is there a cheaper alternative? I also need to install some gears, but i still want to be able to tow and travel in this truck.

2. tyco91burban

tyco91burban Registered Member

Option one

If you dont want to do an axle swap then i would get the locker in the rear and some alloy shafts it should hold up as long as your not hard core rock crawling. I would also regear at the same time. A locker in the rear will make a huge change in the way your truck drives.

Option two

Alloy shafts in the rear and weld the rear. the regear and lock the front but i would do option one as a personal preferance

3. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Could you recomend any lockers and/or gearing? This would mostly be used for mud runs.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

An axle swap isn't going to prevent you from getting stuck in mud. In fact you'll have less clearance from the mud with something like a 14BFF out back.

What you need is traction, the more the better, and enough rpm to keep the tires turning & cleaning. The tires you have are not helping you any in my opinion. there are much better, street friendly, mud tires out there. A locker in the rear would help a bunch.. another up front would too, but even a LS would be nice. A set of gears that will still spin the 35's and be street friendly would do wonders. I think the way it sits right now, you could improve with just some better tires. I would not worry about alloy axle shafts etc... since you're pretty much just playing in the mud. The 35's should be fine, in my opinion, with you 10 bolts for that.