Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud proof axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stroked72Blazer, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Is there such a thing? It will be a tube buggy with 39's or less and a 4 banger so it will be lite. I don't know if I will need 1 ton axles or not right now I am just in the "Bench racing" mind. How well do portals seal from the outside elements?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yep...says Mercedes on it. Comes with a locker. . The axles on Mogs have a positive pressure deal so that when they hit the cold woter they don't concstrict and suck in water.

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

What you talkin bout grim? I like my ifs with skid plates for helping slow water down. But i need to get my tranny vent hose somehow in there and routed up to the top of the engine bay.

4. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

and if you're lookin for some mogs, there's a set here in town that i know of...but they're expensive.

5. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Yep, the later military 1300s have a special regulator to apply gentle pressure from the air tank to the axle housings. It's a pretty complicated system and it would be a PITA to swap the whole thing over to another vehicle, but possible. You'd have to have a compressor and an air tank on board at all times. Fording creeks would be no problem after that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif As far as I know, it wasn't available on the smaller and earlier 404s and 406s. The 1300s have some big-a$$ axles under them /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Stroked72Blazer

In that is the other problem. I want to keep this buggy small and light weight so I would prefer not to use thos big dudes. I think. Anyone know how much those things weigh? I wonder how hard it would be to adapt that posative presure deal to anothe axle? Sounds easy. I plan on doing a york compresser on this thing so thats no problem there. How much do other Axles weigh? Hey it's my thread I'll highjack it if I want to.

7. steelsoldiers

The portal axles off of the gas powered military 404s weigh 530lbs and 485lbs front and rear respectively. I don't know about the 1300 axles, but they definitely weigh more than the 404s. A Dana 60 SRW weighs in at about 518lbs. A 14-bolt weighs about 550lbs with drums. So the 404s are lighter by a little bit and Mog fanatics swear they are stronger. I don't have any personal experience with them though. Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Stroked72Blazer

Cool, thanx. What about 12 bolts and dana 44's? What axles are under hum v's? I know those are portals too. Any one heard of extreme axles? I think they're the ones putting portal ends on Ford 9" axles

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you know how much pressure they apply?

10. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, the later military 1300s have a special regulator to apply gentle pressure from the air tank to the axle housings. It's a pretty complicated system and it would be a PITA to swap the whole thing over to another vehicle, but possible. You'd have to have a compressor and an air tank on board at all times. Fording creeks would be no problem after that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif As far as I know, it wasn't available on the smaller and earlier 404s and 406s. The 1300s have some big-a$$ axles under them /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep 1300's are serious bad! I had one I was seriously looking at but sombody beat me to it and I didn't have my truck and car sold for the cash.

u1300 swimming in about 5ft of water...maybe 6ft.
    [​IMG]

Here is the one I was thinking about. Needs some repairs to the brake air asist and has some bad seals on the drivetrain.
    [​IMG]

11. steelsoldiers

I've seen that one for sale too. It looks real nice and the price is great! Go for it Grim /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I was going to buy this one a while back, but my funding fell through:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a 406 that was modified by Case called the MB4/94. You can find attachents for it like backhoes, buckets, etc... The guy was asking $5000 and I was all over it, but then I couldn't get the $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif It would have been sweet with a new paint job and getting rid of the forklift and crap. Oh well, now I have a bigger and better project going. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the way, sorry for hijacking /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Heck I would have left the Case logo on it. That would be cool! Euro truck had a Doka with a bunch of writing on the side for the company that previously owned it...in German. I would have left that on it LOL. I saw that Doka on a flat bed headed to it's new owner on I 75.

13. Stroked72Blazer

Lets see if I can get this thread back on topic. I still have a few unanswered questions. How much do 12 bolts, dana 44s and 9" front and rear setups weigh? Can the presurisation system for the 1300 unimog be adapted to another axle and what would be involved if it can? Does anyone know who can put hum v portal ends on 9" axles and what web site could I find them?

14. CyberSniper

I was wondering how much pressure they used because a small vane-type compressor found on things such as the lumbar support in your hoity-toity seats can develop 6-8psi and then stall while developing quite a bit of volume. On the other hand, things like the Tacoma TuRDs use vents that somehow cause a positive crankcase pressure even when they're cold.

15. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering how much pressure they used because a small vane-type compressor found on things such as the lumbar support in your hoity-toity seats can develop 6-8psi and then stall while developing quite a bit of volume. On the other hand, things like the Tacoma TuRDs use vents that somehow cause a positive crankcase pressure even when they're cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

2psi would do it. You don't want to much...just enough that if the axle is hot and it hiot cold water that as it rapidly cools it doesn create a vacuum.

Fact of the matter is I extended by breather lines and NEVER have had a hint of water in the diffs with new seals. I have had the axles under water a few times. There is a picture of it in 40+ inches of water floating around (figuratively).

16. CyberSniper

I was thinking about how much pressure you need and it seems that you wouldn't need much pressure for only 5' of water and since seals can successfully keep 5' of water out with no pressure I guess it's not really needed.

I've had water in my rear differential once and that's because the vent tube only goes up by the fuel door. Transfer case, transmission, and front axle go up by the bulkhead on the driver's side. I got the water in because I spent about 100' in bodyline-deep water (you can see where I went in just to the left of the trees which is exactly opposite my foreground tracks).

17. steelsoldiers

Like Grim said, about 2 psi should do it. I think that's what the unimogs use on their systems. I'm sure you could find a small regulator for that. The M35 6x6 army trucks use compressed air in their fording kits to keep water out of the bell housing to keep the clutch dry. You have to put a small plug in the drain hole before crossing deep water, which I'm sure the GIs always did in battle /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif , and flip a valve in the cab.