Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud-Proofing a Starter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MattK, May 20, 2006.

1. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

alright ive witnessed first hand several starter failures due to mud/water crossings.

are any of yall doing any kind of water proofing? or is it worth it just to carry a spare?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've seen people try to protect them, I have tried with no sucess. I just carry a spare and a warrenty at autozone.

3. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

yup mee too

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

What causes them to fail? Is it corrosion or shorting? I converted mine (Summit High Torque) to a Furd solenoid style with the solenoid relay on the firewall. This prevents current from being at the starter all the time, only when you twist the key. This also makes a cleaner install for all of my other electrics like my dual battery set up.

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

its gotta be shorting since the failures ive seen have followed some deep water.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

they can also get jammed up with mud. i had one go out on me. i took it out beat it on the ground some. after a bunch of mud fell out it works like a charm.
    ive heard the mini gear reduction starters dont have this problem

7. UofA_Blazer

UofA_Blazer Guest

I know people who wheel xterras have a problem with frying alternators because they are at the bottom of the engine. They spray them with silicone lube to help it resist the water and gunk a little more. I don't see why it wouldn't help a bit with the starter.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

my starters short out on the '71 truck. it has a manual tranny and a carb so it sees more restarts on the trail than my k5 with auto and and FI

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i haven't had one short out on my, they just get filled with mud and won't turn over. ive replaced too many starters from being full of mud.

10. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

After looking at my design of the high torque I see that it is sealed up. I had mine rebuilt because it was full of corrosion and when it was put back together the guy crammed it full of dielectric grease. Hope it works.

11. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

1990 corvette replacement starters are mini high torque, autozone and such stocks em usually. The ford solenoid did wonders for me too.

12. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm running the high torque mini starter and a ford solenoid and still go through solenoids on the starter itself like crazy
    invest in solenoids. I've got about 5-6 bad ones lying around...I need to re-stock. The guy at the starter shop loves to see me coming. just do you're best to silicone as much up as you can and sometimes you'll get lucky. but if I hit the deep mud I usually end up having to swap the solenoid. And then every so often I'll pull the entire starter apart and clean it out and make sure the brushes are still in good shape. I've yet to have to replace the whole starter...just those dang solenoids. And carry a hammer with you. no matter how bad I've filled them giving the solenoid on the starter a couple good whacks has always got it to turn over

13. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I'm interested in this were can I get more information on doing the solenoid mod ????

Dan..

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

1) Start engine
    2) Remove starter
    3) Hit the mud
    4) Re-install starter

Note: don't stall

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have replaced so many starters, waterpumps, alternators due to the mud.... at $25 each... lifetime warranty.....easier to have a trail spare.. although I dont carry any of them as a spare now... I dont wheel alone so if My starter goes bad... have someone pull me and pop the clutch :bow:

another good reason for the manual tranny :haha:

**** edited

oh yeah on my list (after the crew cab swap next year) is to have a loolbox in the bed...
    extra starter, waterpump, alt, belts, oil, oil filter, ps fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, antifreeze, tools, dshafts, axle shafts...

I want to be a self extracting rolling parts machine.... if I drive it there.. I want to drive it home...

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The mini-starter is the way to go for sure....
    I've purchased a powermaster high torque starter 5 years ago,
    from Summit. No mud or water can stop these starters.

The problem is price...$199.99 ea.