Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mud racing 396 or 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by strokerace, Mar 3, 2004.

1. strokerace

strokerace Registered Member

Hey IM a new on the board But I have a ? I just got a 68 4x4 and I have a 71 2wd but thats not the poing the 68 is going to be a mud racer this year and the rules state that I must run a factory available engine Im not to shure what it came with but shout I run a 350 and say its a 1970 or shoud I get a 396. and will the 396 fit on to the trans its a 4 speed. also I will be runing 35' tires what do you think or is there a better engine that I shoud use.
    thank you Ben

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Go with the big block, there's no substitute for cubic inches. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

It will bolt right up to the 4spd, no problem.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Big blocks are nice, loads of torque, but in all honesty, a small block will rev up higher and in the mud that's a good thing IMHO.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hard call between a 396 vs. a 350. I have always thought a 396 was a waste of a big block with not having a lot of cubes. Can you run a 454? A built 454 would proabably be best either that or a forged bottle fed or blown angry...angry 350. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Or even better...the 454 with the same stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

You state the rule says you must run a factory available engine - there were no big blocks available in the 67-72 Chevy trucks so that might make a problem for you - guess it depends on how technical they are.

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I say go with either one, you will be running a pretty much stock class correct? Get the biggest cam you can and still pull vacuum, higher compression pistons, (we got by running racing fuel in the altered stock classes, it is a pump gas). good set of headers, get the heads ported and polished, good carb, good ignition system. Chances are you will be running against pretty much stock trucks with maybe a few upgrades, but not much internal engine work. Another option is build a stroker motor. Basically, what I found when racing, is how far can you bend the rules, since even with a stroker, you are running the factory block. Many people who race build strokers, but don't tell anybody this. So really it's how far do you want to bend the rules and how much money do you have.

7. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

If it was a 454, then I would say go for the big block. 396's do have my cubes then the 350, but if you did the samething to each, I think the 350 would be better just because it can rev higher and much less weight. With mud, you want the least amount of weight.

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You state the rule says you must run a factory available engine - there were no big blocks available in the 67-72 Chevy trucks so that might make a problem for you - guess it depends on how technical they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure 396 and 402 Big blocks were available in the 67-72 trucks. Not sure what year exactly or if they were availabe in 4x4s however.

As to topic, I say 350. A stock runeer can be found cheaper, they can be built for less, weigh less, accesory brackets are easier to find and will get you going for less $$$. A 396 is a great motor, but not that much better than a 350. A 454 on the other hand is no comparison.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

for racing it is a no contest for the 396
    large canted valves and huge intake runners

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Not sure when they started but my 69 C20 had a 396 and a guy at work has a 69 C20 with a 402.
    Never heard of a 4x4 model coming from the factory with a BBC in it.
    Run the SBC. 15" of vacume no sweat.
    How much do ya want to spend?
    Rhoads lifters has a new cam and lifter set out that would be perfect for that application.
    218/227* duration at .050"
    With the right heads, intake and carb that would be a screamin set up for that.
    That is the cam set that I am getting, not for mud racing but it fits what I want to build.
    Stock grind idle and vacumme and the duration of an agressive cam, best of both worlds.
    That cam has an RPM range of idle to 7000.
    The engine I am building is just the ticket for that class.
    This is what I have going on.
    355 4 bolt main.
    The heads are 487 castings, 71-72 350 LT1's that I am having 202's installed.
    Rhoads Hydra-solid cam.
    Weiand stealth intake.
    And an Ebrock 750 carb.
    I am real partial to Q-jets so the intake will prolly be swapped for an Ebrock RPM q-jet.
    With that cam a Q-jet would be a better choice anyway.
    The guy at Rhoads said the mud bog guys are real pleased with that cam. I can see why now.
    That cam and lifter set is $239 and $10
    It is sorta in the Comp Cams 268 range. But with good throttle responce and power all through the RPM range.
    I am chompin at the bit to get this, just waitin on my return.

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Go for the BBC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure 396 and 402 Big blocks were available in the 67-72 trucks. Not sure what year exactly or if they were availabe in 4x4s however.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 67-72, the big blocks (396/402) were only available in 2wd trucks, no 4X4's. Like someone else said, it depends on how technical the judges are. If you have a choice, then go with the big block. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I am not sure of the rules for mud racing, but I am pretty sure that factory equiped means the engine that came in it, or was put in there by the factory. I am certain that if the rig had an inline 6 and you swapped it out for a SBC that the judge would not pay it much mind.
    He would have to be a blithering idiot or blind to not see the diff between a BBC and a SBC.
    Just like they will know the Difference between an aluminum intake and one with N02 solinoids sticking out of it.
    Now if it is a #'s matching BBC equiped rig then go nutz and drop a 572 in it.

14. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

BBC, if the judge don't like it, try a different event. I would go with a 502 BBC though. My 396 screams, but more cubes would give it a little more poop.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    My 396 screams, but more cubes would give it a little more poop.

[/ QUOTE ] So a 454 poops more than a 396? How much does a 350 poop? I was not aware engines could poop. I poop, my cat poops, flys poop, but my 406 has never pooped. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    My 396 screams, but more cubes would give it a little more poop.

[/ QUOTE ] So a 454 poops more than a 396? How much does a 350 poop? I was not aware engines could poop. I poop, my cat poops, flys poop, but my 406 has never pooped. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ].....ive never heard of that either lol /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

When a friend of mine had a 396 in a 1981 Crew Cab (I have the truck and motor now), he used to tow another guy's mud truck out to the mud races with the Crew Cab, unhook the trailer and enter it with 39.5" Boggers and nitrous. He built the motor, its a .030 over 396 (so technically 402ci). He ran it in 4-lo and 3rd gear. The truck screamed for being a heavy crew cab. Then, he'd hook the trailer back up at the end of the day, and tow the other truck on the trailer back home.

18. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Whatever, got any pics of your rig? I'm looking to see a K5 with 6" lift and 36's.

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Whatever, got any pics of your rig? I'm looking to see a K5 with 6" lift and 36's.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're kidding right /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

he pimps pics of his ride all over this site /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Is his that gray one with 36's and a 10" lift?