Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mud racing tech questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Jul 18, 2003.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I was thinking a bit lately and a question came to mind. Running - camber angle(thew bottom of the tire pointed out) through ruts, good or horrible idea. I was thinking that the bottom of the tire being out would give the front track a bit more width and thus the front of the truck wouldnt fit in the ruts. This obviously would keep your front diff out of the mud so much and maybe give you acouple more feet through the tough pits. Also since its grabbing the "unspoiled" mud on the sides of the ruts could this possible give the front a bit more traction?
    So just how out there are my ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You would have to have them really far out in order to not fall into the runts. That would drive horrible.

And turing your wheels from side to side will accomplish the same thing.

Good thinking though.

Ken H.

3. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I quit mud dragging a couple years ago, but there is definitely less resistance getting through the track by following IN the ruts of the other guys. Straighter runs too. Most of the racers were full size trucks. Anything with a skinnier track would get squirelly. I hated to have to follow a skinnier truck, or make the first pass. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Basically, if there is a bottom within reach of your tires, follow the ruts.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i was just thinking at a stoplight, and saw a pre-runned olut ranger, then i thought about how some prerunners have mad camber angle for stability or something, then i thought about mud aplications. Strange how i think isnt it