Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mud running and using gas as a ballast...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Sep 25, 2003.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

So i was reading about WW2 fighter and how they had to use certain gas tanks in order to have propper ballance for dog fighting. SO this got me thinking about my ford when its in the mud, its better to have the front end try to get ontop of the mud right, so im thinking i could use my 2 gas tanks as a ballast. If i leave the rear tank full it should weigh around 112lbs (all of wich is behind the rear axle) thus giving my rear more wieght and making the front more prone to climbing up on top. Do you guys think this might work /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

dude i think your smoking some reall good stuff /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    weight is weight and gravity sucks 1+1 =2
    hey while your at it make a reverse polarity magnet that will push your furd away from the earth's natural gravitational magnetic pull you know like the alien space ships ( u.f.o.'s) have
    and fill your tires with Helium that how i got my k5 to float ( see my pic in my sig )
    ok im done
    best of all scrap your ford or leaving it laying stock in the mud as a speed bump and go buy a chevy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I think your probably gonna be better off leaving the weight off, and getting some super wide tires instead. Something in the tune of 15-20" wide, if float is indeed what you are after.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

im not after float or anything, its just that i have always heard it is goo to have your front end ontop of the mud, and i was thinking that rear tnak might wieght down my rear enough to give my front just enough of a boost under power.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I think the idea behind is that is to keep the front of the truck above, while having the rear of the truck dig down to the bottom. This way you still have some steering, and you dont turn into a giant bulldozer. In theory, it should work.. but.. in practice, I dunno. Not a mud runner.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The best in mud is where you can dig and find a bottom. If that's impossible, you just point and shoot and hope for the best. Lots of horsepower and wheelspeed are the only thing that can save you in bottomless mud, and you WILL get stuck eventually.

I've decided that I will probably spend my money on a winch even before I get a front locker. I think it's better to have a means to recover myself before I modify my truck enough to bury it REALLY deep.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Now that is a good train of thought.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

For mud less weight is better. If you have weight that you can't get rid of but can move (batteries, radiator and son on.)it would be better in the rear or at least towards the rear. I don't know the optimum bias front to rear.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

One thing pops in my head and that is axle ratio. If you're running 4.11's you could swap to 4.09's in the front. That would result in slightly more front wheel speed which should help 'lift' the truck out of the mud.
    50/50 is almost a universal ideal weight bias.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That "slight" amount wouldn't be enough to make a difference really. I know the big guys around here that run mud have like 5-600 HP engines on 100 octane, run 44's (boggers rear, TSL's front), and have the rear diffs with 4.56's and the front with 4.10's or 3.73's.

The other way to cheat on that is tire size. With matching ratios front/rear, they'll run a size or 2 larger tire up front than in the rear.