Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud Terain or All Terain

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 20, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

That is the question. What are the pros and cons of eacH?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Depends on the wheeling you want to do. AT's will give you a better ride and last longer on the street and you know what muds are for.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

AT's do give a better street ride and are great in snow. The downside is they are almost useless in mud.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

4. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

If you really want to get somewhere wheelin get Muds. I can show you video of my buddy spininng all four in some mud cuz he had AT's. I didnt even have to touch the gas. I just idled through.

350FI/700r4/NP208c/10b's ORD 4" Shackle Flip/ORD Disconnects <font color=red>NJK5</font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club</a>

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Um ok how muhc longer under normal condition should at's last?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

just go with some low pros[​IMG]

hola

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You can get them to last the same as long as you rotate the tires every 3,000 miles and get them balanced every 5-6,000 miles.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Um ok what, you dont understand english?

350FI/700r4/NP208c/10b's ORD 4" Shackle Flip/ORD Disconnects <font color=red>NJK5</font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club</a>

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Why don't you go with the ProComp XTerrains? They look like the perfect balance to me. Besides, you could tell us all if they are good or not [​IMG]

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Your bio says- next mod 36 or 37- Almost all 36 or 37's
    are muds. When i first got my k5 it had 35in BFG muds.
    I wore those suckers out pritty quick on the street. My
    Pro Comps came from 4wp with a 50,000 mile tread wear
    guarantee... It all depends on where you drive most.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift( I tell my wife it's ten) 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

he is asking here cuss a friend of ours is getting 32x11.50 and he don't know what to get. so i guess hes just asking for him. he drives a cherokee. we live on the coast and i dont' know if sand will come into the story but if it does then i say get at's but i think their leanin towards mud.

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?

14. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'll try to do a little summing up, peppered with my own experiences.

AT's are a good tire if drive your truck on the street A LOT and want a street tire that wont go flat when you drive down a dirt road.

I would go with some decent MT's, either BFG or the ProComps. The MT's (like a BFG or ProComp) are not that loud (to me) but everything is relative. They will do better in every type of four wheeling condition except ice.

I had a set of BFG mud terrains that lasted for 30000 of off roading and twisty mountain road driving. When they wore out I got a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT's...those things sucked. They were not a bit quieter (just not as high pitched as the BFGs), sucked on everything. They did get better wet pavement traction than my BFGs did, but that's it. I sold them after about 5000 miles and got a set of ProComp MT's, which currently have about 5000 miles on them, doing fine. They are the quietest of the three types I've had so far. As far as on pavement grip, the MT's have more than you should take advantage of in a truck.

15. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Some other 37" radials : Goodyear GS-A, TSL SSR, BFG AT

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

16. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

A couple of things here, if you are goign to spend much time in sand or on the street, stay away from muds and get ATs. MTs can be used on the sand, but you are much more likely to bury yourselves in them than ATs which will float. MTs are definitely better in mud, but that's no real surprise.

For the best all-round tire, go with ATs. For aggressive lok and good mud and rocks performance, go MTs. Check out January issue of Four Wheeler. They do a comparison of 6 different brand/style tires and rate each.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

17. tightwork 82 K5

tightwork 82 K5 Registered Member

i got the new mud km series. I live in florida with alot of sand and alot of mud, havent got stuck yet and they are pretty quiet on the street, only got about 1500 miles on em so far. but I am satisfied with them. plus you get a little extra side lug on them, and a rim protecter bead.

I got a neon stuck in my grill !!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/tightwork

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I own both. (both pre KM/KO) I have the MT's on my Trail truck and THe Lady's Truck has AT's. Both on K5's
    MT's are a great trail tire with decent road manners. You do know your running muds when you come to a stop. the handling degrades. They are pretty quite for what they are. They have worn well. I have had minum problems with them. For the stuff I do (I hate mud so I don't go looking for deep holes) then have performed excelent. I'm more into crawling type trails with minimal mud. Great tire for that. If your looking for something to deal with DEEP mud get swampers. I hear the new KM is better in the mud that the previous MT but it's still not swamper good. I have used these tires in 6 inches of snow and they do well for that but light dustings and Ice they are not going to do all that well since they lack siping.
    AT. Awsome road tire. Wears like iron. Smooth ride. Excelent choice on icy roads and snow up to about 10 inches (over that all bets are of on any tire). I have used them in sand and they did well. I have used the MT's in sand and as long as you kept moving you were fine but if you have to stop with the MT you may dig instead of move. The AT will do a better job at staying on top of the sand. If your trails don't involve much mud they do good off road. I have several people that I wheel with that do well with them on the trails we run (tellico),
    Either tire is great. If this truck sees heavy street miles and dry trails go for the A/T's. You deal with icy streets often in the winter these are the tires you want.
    This mostly a trail vehicle with some weekend street miles...MT. Ice is a challange.
    Worse case you can pick up some cheap muds for weekend romps on some cheap wheels.
    My trail truck will probably be reshoed with MT/KM next time around. The only other tire I'm concidering is Swampers.
    The Lady's 79. Probably get another set of AT's only other tire I would concider are Michelins (FYI Michelin owns BFG)

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

19. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well now I'm really confused, 'cos I'm soon gonna have to decide as well. I heard muds are better in snow than AT's. But I'm sure it depends on the type of snow. Here on the east coast it's seldom deep and soft and always frozen or slushed ice. Which would be better then?? Also, I've heard both types can be vastly improved with siping. Anyone?

'87 Jimmy

20. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

For ice or a couple inches of snow, AT's rule. You can power right past anything else on the roads. MT's don't start to be a good snow tire until you are in deep snow. For ice and light snow, they are about the worst thing you can have on your truck. MT's with siping seem somewhat promising, though. I think that I'm going to try that approach this winter.

Oh, you also have to consider the width. If it is icy, skinny tires are better. Anything really wide will not be on the road, either by wisdom (ahead of time) or accident (after trying to go somewhere).

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>