Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud Tires or originals on a CUCV Blazer?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by airborne808, Mar 9, 2003.

1. airborne808

airborne808 Registered Member

When I bought my M1009 Blazer, the previous owner put mud tires on it. Though the tires are nice and will take me anywhere, I am concerned that maybe it is putting undo stress on the steering box and tie rods. The steering is VERY sloppy.

Should this be a concern? Should I put original tires back on it? (10R15LT)

Comments??

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

You'll be fine. Almost everyone on this forum is runing oversized tires on thier truck. I have 33x10.50 15's on my m1009.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

First, fill out your profile. Next, you didn't mention what size mud tires.

I would take a good look at the front linkage for slop (tire rods/drag link/ball joints) then eye ball the steering box mount for cracks on the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

Like it has been said before definitely check for cracks in the frame and make sure the tie rods are good. Then dump some cash into a steering brace, either weld on or bolt on. I don't want to plug for anyone but i bought one from ORD and noticed a considerable difference in handling. I also replaced the tie rods which also helped me to run 35's no problem. Heck you might even check the steering gear itself or the pump to see if there is enough pressure going to the gear. If need be look at Redneck rams web page, West Texas Off roads web page and see about modifying your pump to increase the pressure. It just may give you the help you need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. airborne808

airborne808 Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I'm taking it in for a good once over in a few days. The list is long!
    Jeff

6. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

A steering Stabilizer might do the trick, I picked one up from the local carquest.