Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud Tires That Last, And Ride Good?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bad2, May 4, 2000.

1. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

Is there such a thing as a mud tire that lasts and rides good? My truck is my daily driver and must have a tire that has a fair ride but also works good in the mud, while also lasting a while. I presently have a set of TSL SX's that work great in the mud, but arent worth the rubber they are made of for anything else. Anyone have any recomendations?
    How about BFG Mud Terrains, Good Year MT's, Gumbo Mudders, M/T Claws, Swamper SSR's?
    Thanks
    Curtis

88 Jimmy, Stock (getting a 6" lift this summer)
    64 Nova, 383, 11:1, Trick Flow Heads, etc...

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have BFG MT'S on my Blazer and am very happy with the ride and handling ability. I got them siped, that is supposed to keep the tire cooler for longer life and better handling on ice & rocks, do a search on siping or siped to find out the groups feelings on this topic. I was very impressed at how well the tires stuck to rocks while other people were spinning their tires going over some rocks on my last trip out, my tires didn't spin at all on the rocks.
    As far as tread life goes I havent known anyone who's had them on their rigs long enough to find out yet but they're supposed to be long lasting.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

bfg's wear like iron.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have some BFG Mud Terrains and they ride and wear A LOT better than some Goodyear M/T's I had on a different K5. Also quieter.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

5. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Why not get two sets? I know there's extra costs involved but if you wear out a $600 set of Swampers in a year or so-you'll see two sets will be the reasonable way to go

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

you mean a set of Swampers/GroundHawgs/ Or Boggers, and then a set of BFG ALL TERRAIN AT's for the street and dry trail driving, If I had huge bucks and a place to store the other tires that is what I would do.
    I know someone who has on board air and a pickup, he carries his tires to the trail, changes them at the trail head, sometimes he does this... then at the end of the day changes the tires back.
    He's a lot younger than I am though LOL
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

7. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just for my input, I think the BFG's are wearing pretty quickly on my truck. I usually rotate them atleast every 3k miles. It may be more like when I go out wheeling and when I get home, If I pull the wheels to clean the brakes (almost everytime) I usually rotate then.

It may be how damn hot it gets down here, or the fact that NC recycles their glass into the pavement that makes them wear so fast, that and the 6200lbs of blazer on them...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

When I bought my BFG's I got the lifetime balance and rotation. Had them done about every 2000 miles. Then the stupid business shut down and I didn't get it done for a while. Wow, I really noticed some wear all the sudden. Not so much from not rotating, but from missing some wheel weights. I've about got them back into shape after another year of proper rotation and balance. Just FYI; oh yeah, the heat is a killer to tires. One of the factors that determines speed rating on car tires is how well the tire dissipates heat. If you don't have your tires air up correctly that can really hurt them, the sidewalls flex on every revolution and build up lots of heat.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?