Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud tires that work well in snow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jplagg, Jul 23, 2001.

1. jplagg

jplagg Registered Member

I am looking for new tires, most likely 33/12.5/15 and am having trouble with what type tire to get. I live in michigan, so i do have to deal with snow/ice (no mountains though). i would say 90% on road, 10% off. Most of the off-road would be on sand dunes, so good sand performance is a must. I would like decent performance on wet roads too. I think an A/T tire might be better, but lets face it, the mud terrain tires look so much better. Would i be ok with a set of BFG mud terrians among others or should i stick with the A/T?

thanks
    josh

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i'm wondering the same thing.. i want to get ssr's but are they any good in the snow, sand and on the road??????????????

high

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Is there such a thing? My procomps do somewhat ok, but thats probly due to the center siping. Off road in the snow they do great (almost any mudder will) because the dig like no other!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

" Wider IS Better!!!"

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mud terrains will flat out SPANK the All Terrains in deep snow, but in shallow snow (under 2") they're about even.

Mud Terrains won't last as long, but if you ever try a set, the difference in off-road performance will make them well worth it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man let me tell ya what, mud's will NOT work well on ice.

actually the 2 tires that seem the best from the research I have done is the procomp MT's or the SSR's. but you don't buy these tires for their quality on slick winter roads.

I was thinking about getting a mud tire and getting is siped. I decided to go with the tires I got instead. they have worked real well in all the conditions I've had them in (mud, and hill climbing, mountain roads slick or dry) and I'm sure they will be good on ice too. I'm also sure they won't keep up with the ssr's off-road, but it seems to be a good mix.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bigo.com/default.asp?id=201>http://www.bigo.com/default.asp?id=201</a>

the nice thing is the lugs and space between the lugs get bigger the bigger the tire so they are nice and wide on my 35"ers. they also have a lot of good sipes on the tread so that will help on slick roads.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nothing that doesn't have chains on it or studs works on ice. When you get on ice, it doesn't matter if your tires are a week old or bald, you're going to slide. IMO, nothing helps.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the Procomp MT's and live in Lake Tahoe where we get a good amount of snow. They work well in deep snow, dry or wet. But forget about icy conditions. One thing though. They do have holes so you can stud them, I may do that this winter. Great tires on rocks and loose gravel, and pretty quiet on the pavement. My opinion.

Let The Sun Shine Down Upon My Face
    Topless 73

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I tell ya I had snow in my back yard this year from oct. until march that never melted. when it snow's we'll have ICE on the roads for up to a weeks, and usually at LEAST 3 full days. the interstates are plowed better and will dry much quicker, but there is no salt used on the roads.

my long term solution to the problem will probably be 2 have to sets of tires. one for winter, and one for the rest of the year. and yes, when I buy a set of snow tires for winter they are usually studded.

I'll probably run studded snow tires on my on-road k5, and my off road one will run the big-o XT's. they give me a really good combo.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

9. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

Have you thought about the Goodyear MT/R's? I have a set on my J@@p and have really liked their overall performance and on rocks and in snow, they are equivilent or greater than most tires (probably Swamps excluded, but I stay with the SSR and TSL/SX guys pretty good). They are a little spendy, but they are rather quiet, and have excellent traffic manners and aren't even too bad on on slick Utah roads (we sometimes get snow here---)

'77 GMC K15 LWB.....likes to get muddy

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Tim (84ChevyK10) nailed it again IMHO! After the winter we just had (&amp; the 30 others that I've lived through); I've come to an answer. NOTHING sticks to ice! Sorry BFG &amp; Michelin &amp; Firestone &amp; any other manufacturer but they just don't stick! I spent the winter driving my wifes car which had heavily siped, soft compounded winter tires &amp; guess what; they still slip around in slush &amp; ice. Granted, they definitely fare better than all seasons &amp; unsiped mud tires but you still slip.
    To get to the point; I battled with myself over this same issue for years as to what tire to buy. In the end; I went with the SSR's beacuse they'll handle deep snow, be Swamper awesome offroad, &amp; still provide as good a traction in slush &amp; ice as most any other tire will.

Hope this helps in your decision

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

11. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

for the snow i have general grabber MTs that have holes for studs that i put studs in. they work pretty good. i've never had trouble on ice. but that could just be because i'm a good driver or something. but i've never lost traction in snow or ice. or you could go with chains.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    "With great power there must also come great responsibility" -Spiderman

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I also agree... nothing sticks to ice very well, so you always have to drive carefully if the potential for ice is there... either regular or black ice. The best for it is usually an AWD car w. snow tires. But what I have found is that if your tires are cloged w/ sluch and snow you're a dead duck! You'll be sliding no matter waht you are on so I would try getting a good self cleaning tires like the SSR's or some MT's and sip them. I'll be interested to see hgow my Pro Comp MT's fare in this since the whole reason I chose them over the BFG's is because of the sipping.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>