Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gorillajeep, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Gorillajeep

Gorillajeep 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, here is the deal I have 37x12.5x15 SSR's on the blazer now (that I am picking up in next weekend) . I am going to make this truck more of a mud truck/trail runner then a dailey/driver. How bad are boggers on the street really? How well should the stock 10 bolts hold up with some 35x14.5? I could pick up a set of 3/4 ton axles for pretty cheap. Will the frt 8 lug be any stronger then what I have now?
    Thanks guys,
    James

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Boggers suck on the street and they wear out amazingly fast. Front axle isn't really stronger but the rear axle is way stronger Comparing a 14b (ff) to a 10 bolt is like comparing a sapling to a redwood tree. Sure they are both trees but there is really no comparsion. Plus 3/4 tons will probably have 4.10s while half tons will usually have 3.73s or 3.08s. The gears will help spin the tires. If you have to drive it on the street consider a set of 36x14.5 swamper radials, sipe them. They do well on the street and well in the mud. Or mabey even consider some 38" radials they are kind of short for the size but are a great mud tire. If the truck has 37s now then it will probably fit the 38s with ease

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I run Boggers, and 25% of the time they see tar. They do wear quickly on the tar. Driving on the tar after they have sat for a day or two is a unpleasant experience for the first five miles due to flat spots. They are super loud, inside and out.

Will I buy them again? Most defiantly! They are not for everybody, if you can afford them and put up with their quirks, they are the greatest tire IMO.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran a set of 35" boggers on the street for about a year. Yeah they are loud, I liked it. Yeah they have flat spots after sitting, they go away. Yeah they wear quick, it's an excuse to go bigger. Are they awesome? Hell yeah! you can sipe them just like any other tire and gain some tread life and cut down on the noise (not much though). If you don't like them you can always give them to me.:D

5. Gorillajeep

Thanks guy's it looks like I may have some 37's up for sale in about a week or to. .
    James

6. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I am on my second set of boggers and LOVE them for mud! The pull like no other tire I have ever run but you have to have the power to spin them fast to get the best out of them. They also do well on the trails but there are better tires out there for rocks and such (IROK'S RULE!).

7. Gorillajeep

What about the differance From the 3/4 ton frt axle (Dana 44 eight lug, I think) as compared to the 10 bolt up there currently? Are there any advantages? besides having 8 lugs on both wheels frt/rear? I know this is a noobe question so flame away. . . . .
    James

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a dana 44 has a better ring and pinion. more splines on the inner axles. more aftermarket parts available. larger hub bearings, thats a big plus when running bigger tires.