Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mudd bogger with Starter Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lane, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Lane

Lane Registered Member

I cant seem to get a stock starter to last in my mudd truck.
    Anyone know a good way to make um last or do I need to upgrade?

MN MUDD BOGGER
    79Chasis, with 86body, 6"susp,2" body, 37"Boggers, 350 vortec,comp cam, perf intake, eddlebrock carb, TH400, NP203, GM14 bolt, Gm 10bolt.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Whats happening to them? Dead, turns over slowly...? How often do they go bad?

3. Lane

Lane Registered Member

It wont start when hot-just turns over slowly then eventually strips the gears. Ring gear is new and the starter works fine when cold. I have headers, so Im thinking that its getting hot, but I cant fiqure out why its stripping the starter gears when it starts turning slow, even though its is properly shimmed.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Try a heat shield and/or a Ford solenoid upgrade, both can be found in a Summit catalog. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Evidently the starter is staying engaged briefly after the engine starts, I dont know how else the starter gears would strip if its shimmed correctly /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Probably its getting heat soaked from the hot headers, try wrapped the solenoid in heat resistant material and installing a heat shield. You can get this stuff from speed shops or move the solenoid up inside the engine bay using a Ford solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif