Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mudder/Hawg vs TSL??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 12, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

How do Gumbo Mudders and/or Ground Hawgs do in mud and on the street? Are they pretty drivable? Wear good? Bad? I was thinking 35x14groundhawg or gumbo muder or bias plyy TSL 36x12.50... give me your opinion.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

2. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

Re: Tell me.. which tire?

i hear that in reverse in the mud ground hogs are like shovels, (thats a quote from my friend) i got TSL radials and they where somewhat good, so keep those in mind, i was thinking about either getting Gumbos or TSL bias ply swamps for my next set, 38.5/13.50r15

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What size do you run and what do you mean reverse... like mounting the tires backwards? Or just when you go in reverse.. cuz that can be good when you get stuck... having that much grip in reverse to get yourself out.
    Somone told me hawgs are for sand and gumbos are great in mud? Is he right? somone give me some info thanks
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

4. 84silverK5

i run 38/15.50r15 Tsl radial's, how much street driving do you do compared to wheeling?

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Its mostly street weekend warrioor type deal.. never free wway, never access of 50mph?

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All bias plys are loud, rough riding, wear funny, and wander all over the road.

All of those tires listed are good, but I'd get the TSLs. I don't like directional tires. What they mean is when you put it in reverse, the tread design doesn't work as well as in a forward gear.

Just get the TSLs, the design of Hawgs and Gumbos is way outdated (even though my friends love them and they're really not bad, the swampers are better though).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What do you guys recomend hawgs or muders? out of those two... hwo are they directional? Wich way is it better forward or reverse? and then out of those the tsl is better? Wich wears better you think?

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

8. 84silverK5

well the hawgs are hella directional. the Gumbos are not as directional, i like the Gumbos, TSL rocks though think about getting the TSL radials if you do a lot of highway driving, the only down size to Tsl radials is, i dont think they come with as much tread as the bias plys....

9. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I've had all three. Swampers do better offroad hands down-but wear out the fastest. Hawgs wear the best on the street but cake up in the mud-this can be improved if you cut out the center channel but that's alot of work. Gumbos do better than hawgs in the mud and wear a little better on the street than swampers

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

THEN you got the TSL/SX's...they are like a TSL except with side-cleats for when you are in ruts up the wah-zoo!! I think most sizes are steel-belted also. Bad-ASS tires. Get some tall ones, though, ran some 32/11.50's on my '76 since I got a deal. They always dug me right down to the diffs when it got gnarly! Also check out BuckShot Mudders...they come new with the deepest tread of ANY tire.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

First off... just get the Swampers of any kind. The Hawgs wear strange if you drve them on the street, but they last becuase of the harder compund. Have guys I know that have run them. Ok, all around. But, Swampers are better.

Now for the Gumbo Monster Mudders. These tires suck. I had them on my Jeep a while ago. They were the 40 inchers. The measured shorter than my buddiers 38.5 TSLs. And in the mud they were NOT good. The first time I ran in the bog, I could barly hook up off the line, and when I got in the deep stuff, couldnt not move. Embarrasing. So, then I went with 35 Boggers. Hook hard. Much better than the 40 Gumbos. So, I like them, and went bigger to 39.5 Boggers rear and TSLS front. Excellent.

Gumbos NO.

My opinion.
    Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    In CK5 terms sound like Swampers win .
    If you have not seen a Radial tire sidewall off-road, please do so.
    Think about it(sidewall) .