Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MUDDIN IN 4HI OR 4LO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bullet, May 31, 2002.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I got a local mud bog coming up which a 100ft long mud drag pit an the width of a truck. So my question is should I run the drag in 4H or 4L? Should I stay in 1st gear or drive?, I know this may be a stupid question but I need y'alls input.
    Here are the specs on my truck to help:
    Stock TBI 350 with Edelbrock Intake Cam and Hypertech chip
    700r4
    NP 241 (2.72)
    Dana 60 open 4.56
    Corp 14B Detriot locked 4.56
    37x12.50 SSR's

Thanks for the help

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i run mud drags in my 555 truck. if ur trans isnt built up like mine, then i would run 4lo. but shift like its a ratchet shifter. since u have 4 on the tree, start in low one, and as the rpm's go up, shift. u may wanna try this from a stop light in town for practice first. good luck.

sorry, i meant 4lo since u have the 700 and are only goin 100 or so feet.

NITRO

3. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Go for broke. I go 4-Lo in first gear and mash the pedal through the floor. It's just parts.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4 low and "Drive"

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

With your setup, go with 4 low and shift manually, If your motor can pull it, Leave the rpm's between 5 and 6 grand. You'll make your power there and if you hit a hole where someone else sank, you will have more chance to get through it. Drop your rear tire pressure to between 15 and 20 pounds. Leave the front aired up. It help with steering. Let us know how it works out!

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I usually go 4LO and 2nd. If my RPMs are getting too high and I have enough speed, I will shift into Drive. The key is to have high wheel speed and momentum. Starting in 2nd or Drive whould help you get some momentum. Being in 4LO will help make sure you have the necessary torque when you do start to slow and at the beginning.

Just remember, if you slow too much and then come to a stop, shut it down immediately. If you stay on it once you have stopped, all you are doing is digging a big hole for others. Once you come to a complete stop, you are not likely to get moving again just by mashing the throttle.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Brian. 4Lo and 2nd (not L,1,2,3 but 1,2,3,4 on the 465) is the best way to go.

You will have the right amount of RPM's and tire speed for about any type of off roading you are doing.

If the truck starts to bog down, you can always downshift and if it starts to scream you can upshift. You will still be able to shift down or up because the 4Lo and 2nd are the "middle gears."

Look at the picture of Brown Turd on my avatar and on my webshots.com site. I had the tranny in 4Lo and 2nd while throwing all that mud everywhere. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Sandman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just remember, if you slow too much and then come to a stop, shut it down immediately. If you stay on it once you have stopped, all you are doing is digging a big hole for others. Once you come to a complete stop, you are not likely to get moving again just by mashing the throttle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely agree. There is a big difference between a mud race and a mud bog. It is realy bad etiquette to ruin the track for everybody else. I've seen it and it can ruin a good track. It will help also if you can dump some weight like your back seat and tools and stuff. Have fun.

9. Sandman

When I raced with my 4-speed, I ran 4-High and 2nd. I took off at 5 grand, left the pedel mashed and slipped the clutch enough that the engine did not drop below 4 grand. I had the clutch all the way out relativaly soon. Its hard on a clutch but I usually placed in the top three. Thats second as in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Ask people there when you get into the pits and see what works for them for a local opinion. People with some experience can watch a few vehicles go through and judge from there.

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input guys, helped me out a bunch. The "mudfest" will be held June 8th and when I get in I will update y'all with pics and how I did thanks to y'alls help.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree, but if you're still moving, STAY IN IT!! Stay in it and crank the wheel back and forth and you'll keep moving most of the time.

12. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I run in 4 hi in real wattery/slimey mud, 4 low in the thicker mud and leave the trans in drive, and just put the gas to the floor and turn the steering wheel back and forth about 30 degrees each way to keep the front tires bitting into it. Never got stuck yet with 31" non-mudders /forums/images/icons/smile.gif