Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mudjunkie 82...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 26, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey mudjunkie 82, I cant send PM so i have to ask you on here, where did you get your Merlin 540? And can you remember how much HP it came with when you bought it? I was looking at some on www.jegs.com and theres different kinds, so what do you have? Thanks

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

damn, are you building a monster? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Haha, no, I am just interested in his rig with that kick-a$$ engine /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif! And I tend to ask alot of questions /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bahahahaha, I don't think he bought it "ready to go." I'm sure he bought the bare machined block and essembled it with the parts he wanted. That is what most of us do. I know I will never buy a complete crate motor, I like starting out with a bare block and building it with the components that I like best and suite the rest of the vehicle the best. Plus just like mud junkie's motor...YOu can make WAYYYYYYY more power out of it starting with a bare block and choosing bigger higher HP parts then whats available out of a crate. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ah, so crate engines dont have good parts in it? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Ah, so crate engines dont have good parts in it? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ] They do have great parts usually, you misunderstood me...they have mild parts most of the time, even some of the serious racing crate motors could make a LOT more power with a few different parts.

Cams are a good example, most crate motors come with a decent cam but isn't a real big cam compared to some other aftermarket cams that have more lift and duration that would make lots more HP. Don't get me wrong, crate motors are the way to go if you don't wan't to mess with building a motor and they are built with good parts designed to work together.

My general rule is that a decent performance street motor that would be in a DD would make 1 HP for evey 1CI, most crate motors do or come close to accomplishing this.

A serious race only motor with the right parts should be able to get 3HP per 1CI! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    So essentially I bet that with the right pulley, timing, etc etc., mud could get around 1,500HP out of that motor which is close to tripling the HP vs. CI. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the crate, but typically they won't have an ideal setup. Depending on the desired power output though you might end up better off with a crate motor for the $$$ purposes.

If you're ready to spend $2k or more, definitely build a motor.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont no if you read my post a while ago, I forget what it was called but I posted a 454 H.O. crate engine I found at http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=137080&prmenbr=361 would that be a good DD engine, or should I build one up myself?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats a good daily driver motor but that motor could be torn down and built back up with AFR heads, bigger solid roller camshaft, victor intake, couple of other little things and make another 150HP no prob. but then again it will use more fuel too. That is the trade off with more CI and parts to make ponies, it takes more fuel to feed those extra hungry horses. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I Bought a new block and started from there. Merlin 3 race block with splayed caps, 4340 Crankshaft,Carillo Rods with sps bolts,J/E blower pistons, total seal rings,Cleavite bearings, Comp cams Camshaft-800# lift, Crane severe duty roller lifters,extreme duty Chromealloy pushrods,crane gold rockers, Merlin bill Jenkins pro stock heads-2.30 intakes 1.88 exhaust ,Manley extreme duty Valves. Compcams Pacalloy valve springs 340# seat pressure, Mooneyham blower manifold, 12-71 stage 3 Blower /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif14mm drive, Twin Predator carbs, Msd ignition system, Moroso oil system. The Merlin Crate motors are awesome to go with if you do not want to build one yourself.they use good componets to build them with.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I Bought a new block and started from there. Merlin 3 race block with splayed caps, 4340 Crankshaft,Carillo Rods with sps bolts,J/E blower pistons, total seal rings,Cleavite bearings, Comp cams Camshaft-800# lift, Crane severe duty roller lifters,extreme duty Chromealloy pushrods,crane gold rockers, Merlin bill Jenkins pro stock heads-2.30 intakes 1.88 exhaust ,Manley extreme duty Valves. Compcams Pacalloy valve springs 340# seat pressure, Mooneyham blower manifold, 12-71 stage 3 Blower /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif14mm drive, Twin Predator carbs, Msd ignition system, Moroso oil system. The Merlin Crate motors are awesome to go with if you do not want to build one yourself.they use good componets to build them with.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

So what is the max HP you think you can pump out of that thing mud? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Of course, I have make the standard request...

PICS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. mudjunkie 82

Will post soon,Motor going back together as we speak. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Pics? PSHHHH I want a video fo the thing bashing through all hell!

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you buy all that stuff for your engine?

16. mudjunkie 82

Summit, Jegs,ebay,Doug Herbert........... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif