Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muffler Bearing Tech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goober, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

After seeing yet another post asking about muffler bearings, I have decided to post a quick article to help out the new wheelers in our group and bring them up to speed on some of our secret techniques.

When someone tells you to check your muffler bearings, do you know where to look? Many people will tell you "it's a joke, they do not exist". Well I'm here to tell you that those people are just trying to steer you down the wrong path because they realize that a properly adjusted set of muffler bearings can provide gobs of low-end torque to turn those 44" Boogers on the ends of both of your 10-bolts.

The first step in changing you muffler bearings is to remove the muffler from the vehicle. Many mechanics claim to perform muffler bearing maintenance with the muffler still mounted to the exhaust system but this is not practical for most of us since there are specialty tools that are needed that many of us do not own (left-handed pry bar, FNG wrench, a-hole spreader, etc.).

Once the muffler has been removed from the vehicle, carefully remove your Bearing Ulimate Tone Tuner-PLUG to get access to the bearing cone. With a pair of large tweezers, carefully extract the muffler bearing :

[​IMG]

Replacing your muffler bearing is as simple as just reversing the removal proceedures except you will need to head down to your local Ford dealer and purchase a Ford Aluminium Resizable Top wrench. This will allow you to adjust the clearance for the extra hi-temp muffler bearing grease. Important hint: Make sure you ask for the synthetic grease rated at 2000+ degrees. If you repack your muffler bearings with a lower heat rating, it will remove too much manifold heat. Due to government restrictions on the manufacturing of manifold heat, we are only able to get the artificial stuff called Diluted Unbalanced Heat.

After replacing your muffler bearing, it must be properly adjusted to your power band. Make sure you adjust your power band no higher than 10K RPM or you risk over reving your engine and blowing your alternator batteries. If that happens, you will have to replace your alternator AND all 6 batteries.

After properly tuning your muffler bearing, replace your Bearing Ulimate Tone Tuner-PLUG and install a high performance exhaust tip:

[​IMG].

Now your muffler bearings will last for another 10 - 50,000 miles before they need to be adjusted again.

Parts sources:

If your local auto parts store does not have the proper size bearing for your truck (most don't) then you can call: 1-800-386-2277(1-800-DUMBASS) or just visit the official website: www.IamsostupidIshouldbeshot.com .

If you are still having trouble, just send me $250.00 and I'll change them for you overnight. Just leave the truck out in the driveway and I'll take care of it while you sleep and you will never even know that I was there .... honest!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck and have fun!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Someone has too much time on their hands... </font color>

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You need to post this in the Bloody Knuckle for review and final posting in the tech section! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

The scary thing is that I know a few people that need this info /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif hahahahaha. too funny too funny. lol. later.

jacob

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

That's pretty good. The sad thing is I had to click the link ....."just to see....." /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

John

8. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Oh man, this write-up is DEFINITELY is tech forum material...

Steve, hurry and publish this before any more people miss the INVALUABLE information contained here!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I can't speak for all the new guys here but I sure am glad someone answered at least one of the questions asked on the thread you pulled this one from. If only there was some way to save you're write up on my pc for future reference.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Thanks for the laugh thats some funny sheit