Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muffler choice, price, sound, etc...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Mar 22, 2005.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run dual exhaust with headers on my blazer but it is a daily driver and I dont want it to be too loud on the inside. I am running flowmaster 3 chamber( 50 series) right now but one is blown out. I have run the 2 chambers before but they are a little too loud for a daily driver. What other mufflers are there that sound close to the 3 chamber( want to try something different)?

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Chambered exhaust is always a good choice... I run dual glasspacks on my truck, so I can't give you any suggestions on a quieter muffler system

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My DD has a single Imco knockoff of a flowmaster 40 on it and I love it. It gets people's attention when I want it to, but you can hardly hear it on the highway. My project truck currently has a factory exhaust so I can't comment on that front for a couple of months yet.

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

the cherry bomb vortex's sound pretty good

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

depending on what you consider Loud... I run dual dynomax bullets 3" (23½"Long) and they sound awsome they have a deep rumble and arnt very loud at idle but they are a stright though... at WOT Im not sure they do much but I love it that way:D

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I run dual 2 1/2" turbo mufflers. They sounds great...not too loud and hardly noticeable when driving. It sounds pretty good at idle but I think the cam helps out. I kind of wish I had some flowmasters, but I had the whole exhaust from the manifolds back replaced when I bought the truck.

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

When I do the exhaust on the "hooptee" I'm going with Hooker Aerochambers.

8. r_pogo

r_pogo Registered Member

If you can listen first

Best thing to do is to actually listen to the system before you buy. Driving around occasionally I heard a systems that sounded good and stopped to ask what was installed. Most folks were happy to provide the info. The Dynomaxs' seemed very mellow and not too loud.

Anyway, I got lucky -- when I was at the local speed shop I asked what they might suggest. One of the counter guys had just put a pair of Dynomaxs' on his ride and was willing to give me a spin around the block. Sounded good so I bought a pair on the spot.

I use a crossover pipe between the two pipes ahead of the muffler. Supposed to improve performance but it also cut the peak sound levels and eliminated a loud spot at about 50 mph.

9. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

which dynomax mufflers?

10. 77k10chevy

77k10chevy Newbie

what the hell are mufflers?????? if it ain't loud, i ain't proud! get some glasspacks, they rock.

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Single 3" Magnaflow, probable one of the few that is a straight through design and isn't to loud but sounds nice, best muff I have had so far. :D

12. r_pogo

r_pogo Registered Member

Dynomax

Don't remember the model number but they are the usual aluminized ovals with "Super Turbo" embossed on the body. Got them in 1993 or so. If I recall they were cheap: about $50.00 each (discounted) but I think like types might be more now. Only have about 15,000 miles on them but after all these years they still sound good. At light throttle cruise they are super quiet but really roar when you mash on the goquick. Also, I think they might have added a MPG or two over stock at cruise speed so they have a possible payback down the road (literally).. Don't know for sure since a MSD, new wiring and other stuff was added at the same time.

13. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status