Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muffler opinions Wanted!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MontanaLifted, Apr 25, 2003.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

What kind of muffler are you guys running on you rigs???

I'm building a 350 for my truck and I'd like to get some feedback from ya'll on what you think works the best.

Right now I'm running Headers, Dual Exhaust, with 36" glass packs. It's got a lot of sound but it's real raspy and I'd like something that was low and rumbling without to much restiction.

Thanks fellas,
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm running Flowtech Warlocks. They have a plug on the back that you can unbolt for open exhaust. It's not straight pipes though since I have Catco cats, but it sounds real low and rumbly(she'll set off just about any alarm). I've gone on a few roadtrips with them(200+ miles) uncapped and it wasn't too bad(keep in mind it takes a lot to annoy me since I have no top, no interior, no heat, no A/C etc on a DD /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)When they are plugged they are just a little louder than the stock mufflers. I've had them for about 2 years with no leakage at the plugs. The only thing I would change is to paint/coat them with something. I forgot how much they cost but I got them from Summit Racing.

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I have 3 inch headers,pipes and flowmaster 40's /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I usually run whatever is cheap, glasspacks typically. But one time I bought a flowmaster dual exhaust kit with 40 series original flows because I loved the sound of a friends car. It actually improved my take off and top end and gave me better gas mileage but still had a good rumble. It wasn't quiet but not earth shattering either. I am going with the new Edelbrock dual exhaust pipes with flowmaster 40 series delta flows (whenever the money comes available). I figure for $120 and I already have the mufflers should sound pretty good. Right now my exhaust is Y piped down into a cat followed by one 40 series flowmaster and its pretty rumbly but not real loud. I want loud, I need LOUD /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Its all about what you are willing to spend and what sound you are looking for. I have found that the pipes themselves change how the exhaust sounds. Ask truck owners about their exhaust if you like their sound (gas stations work best I have found out).

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

One thing to think about is anyone running straight through mufflers like glass packs. If the flow of gasses doesn't make a change of direction in the mufflers they won't work as a spark arestor and will be illegal in some areas like national forests I think. Also they can start fires during the dry season.

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Get 40 series flowmasters "the originals" if you want the full flow sound. Get 50 series SUV if you want it a little quieter. Go to www.flowmastermufflers.com and listen to their sound bytes under each mufler description. Any 40 or 50 series will be deeper than the glass packs. If you keep the duals you will want 2.25" pipe all the way back to keep low end torque and not hurt the top end. If your 350 is built up you can go to 2.5" pipe. You are not going to find a better sounding brand of mufflers if you ask me. I have had edelbrock, magnaflow, turbos, glasspacks, flo-pros, stock, and flowmasters 40s and 50s, and keep going back to flows. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am running headers 2 1/2" pipe and dual Flowmaster 40's Delta flows dumped in front of the axle. As for sound, I don't know, my engine is going in this week. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have Flowmaster 40 series has a great sound I think it runs alittle better also.

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I run headers 2.5inch pipe and 40 series Flow Masters. My exhaust ends at the mufflers and I have no tail pipes or cats.

At close the 3 grand cruising down the highway I can barely hear them over the Swampers and I have no carpet. When I stand in it it does sound off but not an obnoxious crack like my last rig had w/ glass packs.

They also have a nice rumble at idle. But I think the cam loping has a lot to do w/ how it sounds at idle. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Borla'a have the best sound I have heard. I run flowmasters currently

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im running headers and dual 2.5 pipes out ot dynomax turbo's..no cats or tailpipes..it sounds pretty nice. sounds nice at idle..and good when accelerating..its kind of a more gargaly sound more than throuty. but its not that loud..i can hardly hear them in the cab..speacially when idleling...but according to my NEIGHBOR...they are ot loud.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and my dad is about to make me put some "sound solution" mufflers from advance on there..that will suck!

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ..but according to my NEIGHBOR...they are ot loud..

[/ QUOTE ] Altho mines no LOUD, it does wake everyone up when I start PI. To me its not bad but the low rumble can be heard a long way. I try to not drive PI at nite as much as I can because of it.

the night my grandmother died I had to drive PI because the of all the rain we had. The roads out to her house were just about impassable and the driveway was so bad the funeral home got stuck coming in to get her and when they were leaving. As I was driving out of my place I was watching lights turn on from everyone I woke up at 1AM. They really hated me when I came home at 4:30ish and woke them up again.

13. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

A Great sounding and Cheap muffler (in price, really good quality) is the Summit Racing Turbo's. I have them on my 330HP 71 Elky and loud enough to be noticed when your on it and quiet enough for daily driver. The one's for my Elky were $15ea !! Heck for $30 bucks if you dont like them you can sell them at the swapmeet. Really worth the look /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

flowmasta 50, works 4 me...

j

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Go with some MagnaFlow mufflers, they are straight through like a glass pack but provide a low rumble with very littly raspiness.

16. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go with some MagnaFlow mufflers, they are straight through like a glass pack but provide a low rumble with very littly raspiness.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Again as I posted earlier in this thread, any straight through muffler will do nothing about sparks. If your rig is more than a mall cruzier you need a spark arrester on it.

17. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

<font color="red"> As for me I run Afterburner headers and dual straights to tips... I LOVE how loud it is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif... rumbles and all but I HATE the way it cracks at the end of the gear /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif (before shifting). Think I may add 2 chamber flows on it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif</font> /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Again as I posted earlier in this thread, any straight through muffler will do nothing about sparks. If your rig is more than a mall cruzier you need a spark arrester on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea thats great, just stating my opinion on a low raspy muffler as requested in the original post. I saw your previous post, no need to repost it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh i got headers, to dual cats, to dual flowmaster 50 series delta flows, out 24x4 tips out in front of the rear tires. If i rev it a bit at school guy 3 cars down car alarm goes off, and my friend swears up and down sittin next to me at a stop light his car is vibrating /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh yeh its 2.5" pipe no crossover. Glad i went slight overkill w/ the 350 so i wont HAVE to do new for my 496 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[​IMG]
    run that.