Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

muffler or NO MUFFLER??!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canyon, Aug 26, 2002.

1. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

Hey Guys
    A little while back i pulled the muffler off of my 1988 k5, 350 TBI (of course you all knew that). Well anyway I'm pleased with the sound and performance, oh yeah I routed the new pipe out right before the left rear tire. Anyway I'm just wonderin if I'm missing out on any power or happiness that I could achieve with a muffler, can anyone solve this dillema of mine, please tell.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You didn't mention if you still had the catylitic converter or not. If you do, then I think no muffler would be acceptable. If you don't, I would recommend a muffler. For a fairly stock motor, power gains between muffler and no muffler can be small. That's no to say none at all, but not as significant as with highly modified engines. If you want to keep your noise level up, try something like a 1 chamber Flowmaster.

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I would say get a muffler. If you want a nice sound just get a 40 series flowmaster. or you could go with the full race one chamber like 79beast said. But this is just my opinion. Go with what works for you

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you have a cat, even a gutted cat itll make a sort of expansion chamber and calm down the sound some and give it a deeper tone.

On a stock motor I would at least run it all the way out the back for some back pressure to help low end torque some. But its your rig and its all up to you.

Personally I am partial to 40 series Flowmasters. Dont get confused by the sound making you think you have more power. Ive heard some tough sounding rigs that couldnt pull a worm out of a chickens ass. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

5. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

like a GT...

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Please put a muffler on it.

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'd say put a flowmaster on it, I yanked the cat off my truck and put single 3" in dual 2 1/2" out flowmaster w/dumpoffs and it sounds great. I did this after my exhaust fell apart... and I thought it sounded like $hit with no muffler at all.