Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

muffler sources?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Sep 26, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Someone was lamenting the loss of good counterpeople...I, once again, lament the loss of responsible aftermarket automobile parts manufacturers.

Noticed under my truck today that the 1986 diesel mufflers on my truck are starting to look rough. Probably don't have a whole lot of years left on them. Pipes and all are good, but one of the mufflers appears to have a "tear" in it, probably because of rusted, thin metal.

Anyways, went to Napa today for some other stuff, I decided to ask them about mufflers for it. "Sure, we have those, part number so and so, $23, direct fit" Wow, bring it up, let me check it out!

So he brings up a muffler, looks like it's probably the right dimensions and inlet/outlet locations, but this "direct fit" muffler is missing the bracket that connects to one of the frame mounted exhaust hangers. Direct fit my rear.

So now I go home, sit down, and search for the stock pieces. Of course, at least at gmpartsdirect, these mufflers (part numbers) no longer exist.

Check online, apparently what Napa was trying to sell me were made by Walker. Sure enough, Napa part number matches the Walker part number for that piece. It appears from their online catalog, that the piece Napa gave me, is just the plain steel version (looks aluminized) while the next step up is stainless. So I'd guess it has the same design, just in stainless, and for about 7 times as much $$.

Anyone know of a company that sells or makes DIRECT FIT mufflers? I entertained the thought of cutting the stock ones off and welding them on the new ones, but they aren't just spot welded on, that screws up the coating on the new ones, and the metal is darn thin there anyways.

There are few things I dislike more than flimsy exhaust that breaks often, squeaks, and moves around...the GM diesel dual setup is nowhere near flimsy.

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hit up Mudfrog..He sells mufflers..Good prices's too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey I sell direct fits, I'll check for you tomorrow when I get to work if you send me a PM with the model, engine, wheel base, etc.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Should have a PM from me! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

MudFrog got me a great deal on a Magnaflow for my Diesel Motohome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have installed quite a few Flowmasters on diferent vehicles. They were all a direct fit and bolted up to the stock hangars.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Walker and Maremont pretty much own this business.

I've rarely seen an ill fitting direct replacement from either.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You can't use one of those hangers that attaches with an exhaust clamp? Most of the mounting brackets I've seen on the muffler itself is on one end or the other.

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have installed quite a few Flowmasters on diferent vehicles. They were all a direct fit and bolted up to the stock hangars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flowmaster doesn't make any direct fit mufflers, they are all universal, sounds like you got pretty lucky with the exact fit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

That someone was me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif--I havent bought a factory muffler in my life--but I agree the GM original mufflers and pipes on my diesel might possibly be the originals,and they feel like schedule 40 house pipe compared to any aftermarket stuff I've seen--you could arc weld theese pipes if you wanted too!. I used to sell AP/Gorelick exhaust and walker at the stores I worked at--the AP brand has factory fit mufflers at a steep price available(lifetime warranty means you pay for it twice basically,and they hope you wont bother to send in the "registration"card or loose your recepit,or sell the vehicle before the muffler goes),they also have an economy muffler called the "Silentone"that we sold tons of,good quality,fits just like original in most cases(they give you brackets and special curved pipes in the box with the muffler if needed)also we had another muffler(AP)that was called the MSL--stands for "Muffler Shop Line"--that is sold mostly to Midas and Minekee and similar places--they fit like OEM and are very ruggedly built(at least they were when I sold them--things may be different now)--walker was expensive,their pipes seemed kinda thin if you asked me,the only walker mufflers I like are the dynomax universal "turbo" ones,and one called the "Royal Scott",looked just like a glasspack,but had baffles like a real muffler,it was a tough cookie,made of 16 ga.steel--I had them on my K5 for over 5 years--most exhaust here is lucky to last 2 years--I'm not sure if walker still makes them or not--they seemed to be getting harder to get back then.
    I have another rant--why does every exhaust manufacturer have to make their systems different on the same vehicle??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifEver try to put an AP pipe on a walker muffler or pipe?--or if they happen to be the same diameter,they are different length,they split the system in a different spot,some systems have a curved inlet on the muffler,other brand has the curve made into the pipe--.I know its so you have to buy it all from one brand,but many times between all the stores in my area,no one has everything in stock--and the customers car needs to be done by 5 o'clock--makes for a bad day when you have to "peicemeal"a system together . /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif