Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muffler suggestions needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jbissette, Mar 8, 2002.

1. jbissette

jbissette 1/2 ton status

I am going to redo my exhuast with a single 3" pipe and muffler, but I need some suggestions on a good muffler that isn't going to cost a lot. I think my cat is plug up or at least is getting that way so I will get rid of it when I put new pipe in. I also have to replace the front hub bearing on the passenger side and they want like $180 for one. Thanks

2. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I just got a 3" bent from the Y back w/ a 40s series flowmaster. I'm surprised how tame it sounds when just cruising. But when I romp on it, you know it's there! I say go with either a 40 series, or if you want something fairly quiet, 50 series or delta flows.

3. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

are you planning on doing a suspension lift at all??? if so your not going to want that stainless Wye pipe in there, cuz its going to be right in the way of your front driveshaft. "trust me i know i am in that situation right now" with my 3" single exhaust 40 series flowmaster, so i am going to lose the wye pipe and run true duals on mine with another 40 series flowmaster, i really love the sound it make, exspecially when you GET ON IT!!! oh well just thought i would save you some headache and money on pipe.

Ck1500

1987 K-5 350 TBI 700R-4 with a 6" BDS lift and a 3" body lift under construction, sitting on 33" thornbirds but soon to be upgrading to my 14bolt rear and some 40" TSL probably .

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got a three inch cat back system with flowmaster on my 93 2wd silverado and I must warn you. It is no longer possible to pull away from a red light without jamming the right pedal all the way to the floor with window down just to hear that low pitched rumble. Can't wait till I can afford to get one on my burb.

tom

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have the 40 series delta flow dual outlet single in and a highflow cat and i'm pleased with it. It's not too loud but it has a nice rumble to it. My friend put a normal 40 series single in/single out on his cherokee 6 banger and it sounds louder than mine but everyone says mine sounds better and his sounds like a wannabe truck lol. I dont know what that means. I like mine though, its very mellow but you know its there.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with the flowmaster muffler you will like it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go with a gibson muffler, once you have tried it you will never go back to a flowmaster again. Gibson has a very nice tone to it. Go with a 2 1/2" Y pipe into a 3" high-flo cat and gibson muffler. Very sweet sounding exhaust, nice tone when cruising and a loud rumble when small pedal hits the floor

8. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm doing my exhaust this week, 3" single into a high flow cat, and muffler from Dynomax. The muffler is a straight through design, but I am worried it might be a little too loud. I'll let everyone know how it turns out in a week or so! Jon

9. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

Mine true duals headers and nothin but glasspacks

10. Mudderfocker

Mudderfocker Registered Member

True duals all the way out the back, I'm running 2 1/2 inch pipe (easier to bend than 3) with WARLOCK mufflers, everybody thinks it sounds like a pissed off 502 crate motor.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have a 355 .030 over 9.5 comp and 268 degree cam.......the engine effects the overall decibel level of your exaust. I ran headers into dual 2 1/2" pipe into fire extinguisher cans with three inch turn downs. It was MEAN sounding, but too loud. Now I'm with 3" single chamber flowmasters. Love the sound. I can keep it quiet enough to pass cops, but still drown out the annoying hum of all the GT Mustangs (or anything else in my county).

12. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I went with Hooker headers, to Summits true dual pipes, to Flowmaster Delta Flow 50's (I think that or the 40's?) and Damn Cats from Checker <- DONT DO THIS!!! LOL!

Shane-