Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muffler types,Not brands, but type?>>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Does the inlet and outlet of a muffler change the way it works or offer any torque gains?
    Ya know
    center in center out
    or
    offset in center out
    or
    offset in offset out

Wich one is used to build torque, if any?
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Steve, as I understand it the configuration of the inlet and outlet is only for routing...

It all depends on what kind of room you got underneath and whether you want tailpipes or dumps.

Rene

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok thank Rene, Ya I use to run dumps but now I'm gonna have tail pipes going out the back corners somewere some how?
    I seam to have lots of room so I can probly just run the straight in and straight out?

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah, no more Burt dust clouds? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yep, just a routing thing, no change in performance in any of the conifigs.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK cool, now grab your bender and come up here and lay some pipe /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifhahaha J/K
    I think I will order the straight in offset out to try and get the tips to the corners eaisier.
    Thanks Fellas /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

From what I have read it does make a difference. Center in Center out will be the quietest and flow the best...it is also the hardest one to fit.

AFAIK there are 4 types
    1) Glass Pack
    2) Labyrinth (stock type)
    3) Sound Cancleation (like a Flowmaster)
    4) Suppertrap

Im sure there are others but I think those are the main ones.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Commonly known as:

1. Straight-through
    2. reverse pass?
    3. chamber type
    4. just a straight through variant

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Fellas!
    I ended up getting a set of thease:
    [​IMG]

70 Series Big Block II, Center 2.5 in. Inlet/Offset 2.5 in. Outlet, Oval, Aluminized Steel

These 70 series Big Block II mufflers are designed around a large case, for maximum volume and efficiency. They are 2 in. narrower than the original Big Block muffler, making them easier for installation in tight areas. Other features include a mild, mellow exhaust tone and a resonant tuning chamber for reduced interior sound levels.

I figure the slim design will help keep the rocks off of them /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif and now that I'm old and crusty I wanted a bit more quiet time in my rig /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Whatcha Think /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Should sound real nice Steve.../forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

haha Ya I was just playing with www.flowmastermufflers.com they have sounds you can play to hear the different mufflers. They have thease hooked to a 502 in a car...sounds good! Definitly quiter /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I have listened to their sound bits too and they are pretty cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That chevelle sounds really cool, so does the El Camino in the 30 series clips. I also like the dodge cummins clip. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Those 70 series should sound nice...how is your motor swap coming?

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha ya I was cranking them here in the office and my co-workers are like...what the hell?? hehehehe
    Damn CitySlickers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

The buildup is moving right along nicly. I still have unfinnished bathrooms in the house so I need to finnish them this weekend then I SHOULD beable to spend my weekends wrenching/modifying/installing/faking it/drinking beer/YYYYYYEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAAAABBC!
    The REALLY COOL thing is I have the 23rd/24th&25th off from work, next week. My wife is going to a RealEstate seminar in So Cal so I had to take thease days off to get my kids off to school in the am and be there when they get off the bus at 2:30.
    So that means from 7:30 to 2:30 with NO WIFE and NO KIDS
    YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!!
    Hell yes! I get all that uniterupted garage time!!! Man I don't even remember what that feels like it's been soooo long!!/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I also like the dodge cummins clip. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? I've searched flowmasters site many times before for diesel clips...

14. rjfguitar

I'm not good with link stuff but go to the "mufflers" link and it should be in there listed with all the different series mufflers. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. rjfguitar

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Burt, I posted on the NCOR post you have going but go with a Gibson muffler. They are quieter than a Flowmaster but they come alive when you stand on it. In my older age I tend to like things a little quieter than before.