Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mufflers? Nice rumble, no reasonance, 6.2/4.10's

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by uglytruk, Apr 6, 2006.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I'd like to replace the super quiet mufflers on my 'burb. the last time I put on "sonic turbos", on an '80 Caprice 350, I almost broke my ear drums from the reasonance at 55-65 mph. I realize every engine/gear ratio changes everything.
    What do u guys run? Stock rear exit tailpipes... ;)

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I used one of these on my 2500hd - 6.0 ltr. Pro-Flo I used the double in with a single out # 2503. It works nice with the gas motor. It has a quiet rumble but you can still talk. And there is no resonance... It's just quiet enough where it doesn't annoy the wife...

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A 6.2 dont need mufflers!!

I was amazed when a friend with an 86 C30 ramp truck with a 6.2 was putting on new mufflers (dual exhaust) ,when I arrived at his shop a week or two ago..

I asked him to fire it up with NO mufflers on it,just for s***s and grins..
    I expected a loud roar ,and a raspy fart as it came down from a good rev..but to my suprise,it was just as quiet as it was WITH the mufflers on it!(which were all rotted away and baffles were exposed!...my friend was suprised too..it wasn't much quieter WITH the mufflers on!..and they were not "turbo" ones,just OEM style cheapies ,a "Defender" from Autozone..

I thought a diesel with 20 something to 1 compression would be loud as hell,but I was very suprised how QUIET it was!..MUCH quieter than any gas motor I've heard uncorked!..

Made me want to run stacks thru my stepside bed when my mufflers rot out on my 82 K20..and maybe leave out the mufflers!...:D

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

The above ProFlo site is cool, too bad the camera person and the pedal-pusher were'nt on the same wave length. but fun nonetheless... I've got the 'burb up in the air right now, fuel tank time. I'll try pull the muffs. I recall PostOffice stepvan 6.2's bombing around. They were obviously stock, but had a good rumble!

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I would never call a straight piped 6.2 quieter than anything. I have heard my fair share of straight piped gassers but they dont compare to a open 6.2. To me it sounds like a top fuel dragster.

6. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Just met a young fellow at a political meeting last night, think g*** . He is looking for work, I'm looking for compooper help to build a web site w/video link (for my real estate business). I guess clips of my 6.2 'burb sans muffs will be my post, if this site can accept video. I suppose it can't, so I'll have to post a link....

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've had a couple different combos on my '90 with the 6.2 and have heard a few others.

One guy had a mid-80's dually with the 6.2 and tried straight dual pipes..........it was LOUD. He drove it about a week before putting mufflers back on it.

On mine (stock dual exhaust) I've had:
    - dual 2.25" OEM mufflers
    - stock pipes with dual 2.25" glasspacks
    - aftermarket 2.25" pipes with dual 2.25" "Raven" mufflers
    - aftermarket 2.25" pipes going into dual 2.5" Flowmaster 40's

Stock was obviously pretty quiet.
    With glasspacks the interior noise was just slightly more, but defninitely noticable outside the vehicle.
    With the Raven mufflers (in stock at the time at Midas, looked like turbo style mufflers) it had a nice low rumble. Slightly louder than the glasspacks but much deeper in tone. Still fairly quiet inside.
    The Flows, with the pipes open right after the mufflers, are by far the loudest. Really nice deep sounds but crazy resonance on the highway.

8. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Problem was no taipipes, but even with tailpipes, my 350 Caprice wagon was intolerable. Some kind of mid-price Turbo's. 5 years ago, and I returned 'em! Got my $$ back. Installed plain $25 mufflers, even tried a "quaranteed " no reasonace, yeah right!