Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MUFFLERS???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jun 27, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I have pretty much decided on glasspacks I like it load and I want the muffler with the most performance I probably wont be running cats so If theres anything someone might wanna tell me about all this that would be good and what glasspacks are most guys running I cant find a 3in 3out glass pack

And does Mr. Gasket make cut outs for 3 in pipe I like the cable disign

o ya no one makes bolt on exuast for like a 84 1/2 ton right?

2. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

If you want loud, free-flowing performance straight pipes never hurt(unless of course you need to pass emissions and the like /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif )

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I live in FL so immisions is not even though of but dont you need somthing for back pressure and cant strait pipes damage valves? Im probably going to get cut outs also

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

There's bolt on kits for them. I think I saw one in summit or jegs. I'd rather go from there because I'm sure its the same kit as in LMC only minus the extrodinary mark up they slap on everything. Everyone knocks them, but I like glasspacks. I still don't see why people say having a free flowing exhaust system hurts valves. Local dirt track guys have headers and no pipes at all.

3" duals are waaaaay to much pipe. Unless you're pushing 350-400hp, 2 1/4" will be more than enough.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Mufflers, in the Past I've Ran 3" Mufflers off of a Chevy C60-C65 Truck. 3" inlet and 3" Outlet. They are Plenty Loud, just a straight through Design. I Think I got Em at NAPA.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Everyone knocks them,

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's because they sound gay... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

HUH?! I can't hear you over the glasspacks. I think 75% of mufflers sounds gay, and I'm not spending $100+ for one damn "performance" muffler. I'm one of those types thats like "shut up, I'm driving" when I've got passenger who nags alllllll the time (usually of the female variety /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ) so the glass packs restrict talking to only when needed because you have to shout.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ya get what you pay for...cheap crappy sounding glass packs or great sounding Flowmasters or Dynomax's that actually last.

I can quite easily drown out my passengers nagging with my Flowmasters too...

Rene

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well im not really looking at the money I just like it load good sound and mainly good performance

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I hear ya there!

my 3" pipes, with dual cats, and flowmaster's can drown even the noise of 2 kids in the back!

and they don't "BLAT" I HATE trucks that BLAT..drive's me crazy- a rumble is nice, and a shudder is cool- but that da*n BLAT is horrid! spend the $$ get a quality exhaust and it'll last, AND sound cool!

Brandy

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've run straight headers before, with it like that nobody gets to talk within a square block of you. As for flowmasters, I managed to blow out one of the baffles on my last pismo trip. Now I have a rather annoying rattling sound, guess its time to go back to straight headers /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I just got a set of dynomax ceramic coated headers and origanal flowmaster 40 series mufflers(2.5"). Dont know how it sounds yet because my motor is in my garage getting a cam and timing gears put in it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I tried glasspacks but hated the sound after putting them on and went with Flowmaster 40 series . They sound a lot better than the glasspacks did.

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Glasspacks can sound good but here is a little insight.

The longer the glasspack the more mellow the sound. I have a buddy that ran something like 28 maybe even 30" glass packs and they sounded sweet this was on a FI chevy. Not raspy unless you really mashed the skinny pedal. Now you can find like 12-16" cherry bombs that will blast! Just dumped mine for a nicer exhaust system. 3" high flow headman cat and 3" in dual 2.25 out 50 series flow with the delta flow technology. Can't be more pleased. Can hold conversations inside without a problem still has nice rich flowmaster sound outside! Props to flowmaster for the delta flow design! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I run headers with striaght pipes all the way to the rear no cats or muffs, been that way for a year, no valve problems and it is only super loud when on the gas hard I've never been pulled over for noise which surprises the people who have heard my truck it turns heads from 4 blocks in busy traffic.

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I had glasspacks because the sound of flows makes me sick! [​IMG] Everybody has them, not many have 'packs. I had 10" ones and it only got annoying on roadtrips. Right now I just have cutouts on my mufflers, so it's bascially just cats and no muffs that dump at about the middle of the truck and it sounds great. And the cops don't give it a second look.

17. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I have 3" dual pipes, no cats, and no mufflers. I have them turned down right at the back axle, I love the sound. My truck is only used for wheeling though, it would get pretty annoying if I had to drive it every day.

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That's the beauty of cutouts. Day one: open headers. Day two: stock exhaust tone. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

please dont get glasspacks. they are very restrictive and dont sound near as good as any flowmaster or dynomax

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Actually they are one of the least restrictive mufflers out there, since it's basically just a pipe. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif