Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mufler.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by eightyone, Jul 14, 2005.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

do you need to run a mufler on a diesel? and will you get little more power if you run like 4 inch straight pipe? im tryin to squeeze everything i can out of this 6.5. thanks for any input.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's always better to run a muffler or at least a decent length of pipe.
    If you go bigger however you do get better breathing with a diesel unlike the gassers which like some backpressure.
    4" might be overkill but lots of the guys run 3" I have 3.5"
    But then again I have a turbo.
    :D

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

interesting. i am running a turbo as well, thats why i thought back pressure was not goin to help at all. i was talking to a friend who is into imports, and he has an external wastegate, or something, i think thats what its called, anyway, when he has full throttle, it opens, and the exaust dumps right out after the turbo, to release pressure, and keep it spooling easeair. does this sound right? and would it work the same way with a diesel? or am i wrong? im still learning about this stuff, so bear with me. thanks.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You do have correct information.
    However there is more to it than that.
    The long tubes or a muffler will contain any unburnt fuel and let it burn and still use the power.
    Plus it will protect your ears and the surroundings from burning from sparks or so.
    A turbo will muffle the noise a bit so you could run a trubo with no muffler but would be better with some tubes.
    At least have 4-5 feet of tube behind a turbo.
    with no Turbo run full length tubes I mean full length of the truck.
    My buddy has that on his crew cab and it doesn't sound too bad and runs great