Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Multi piston calipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by orangeGMC, Aug 8, 2005.

1. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

Does anybody make a two or four piston caliper for our trucks? I have already done the disc conversion on my 14bff and I still think it could stop better if I upgraded the front from stock. I have a Dana 44 front end by the way.

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I think Wilwood and SSB make them in 2 and maybe 4 piston but they are lots of $$$. Check Summit racing see what they have for upgrades. Probably not worth the money unless you're into racing or something. I'd just make sure the stock calipers are in good shape, and maybe upgrade to a 1ton master cylinder.

3. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

Would our application be considerd as GM metric?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Wilwood sucks at answering Emails on this subject, I know that much. As does Baer.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I was going to try these from TSM Mfg.
    Click-->80mm Calipers

Factory calipers have 78mm pistons IIRC.

I was checking calipers at Wilwood and they had 2 piston calipers "coming soon" for 10b trucks. They replied to an e-mail I sent about 6-8months ago saying they were not available yet.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've got hydroboost. B_to_C borrowed my truck and he couldn't believe how much better the pedal pressure/stopping power was compared to his 14B, 35s, and vacuum booster. And I have 12b with 37s.

7. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

I have found a few universal calipers described as GM metric, but I am not sure if they would fit.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM metric (ridiculous name IMO) is often referred to by racers as the calipers that use metric fittings. You'll see that in racing catalogs in reference to 80's calipers off of cars. They are typically smaller setups since they were used on midsize cars.

Not sure if the trucks went "metric" in regards to the calipers as well.

9. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

Has anybody used these calipers or dealt with TSM? I would like to get some feedback since this is the best I could find so far that I know will fit.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Seems to me that the Dana 44 calipers use SAE thread, while the 10-bolt calipers are metric.

11. crowley

crowley Registered Member

orangegmc, tsm manufactering is a good company to deal with, i've bought the 14b disc conversion, nice stuff, friendly staff also helps!

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The way I've seen it is that the so called "metric calipers" use the D154 pad and have a 2.5" piston. Those came on mid-sizes, S-10's and what-not.

The "Std" or non metric calipers use the D52 pad and have a 2-15/16" (74.6mm) piston. I call these the "D52 caliper" These "D" numbers refer to the brake parts industry's standardized pad backing plate numbering.

Going to a bigger caliper piston will increase your stopping power, BUT it will also increase your pedal travel AND make the pedal feel more spongy.

Most of the racing type multi piston calipers have LESS piston area than the D52 caliper. This is actually a good thing. It means that you can use a smaller bore m/c too. Where you'll give yourself the biggest headache is in trying to use racing parts on one axle and OE part on the other. Don't do it unless you're willing to spend some time and money sorting out the brake balance.

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i think thay are just 3/4 ton front calipers on the 80 mm size. but like said before try a truck with hydro boost you will like it. what a diffrence in pedel.:wink1:

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3/4 ton 2wds use a large diameter piston, or at least they did in the 70s. I found this out the hard way.

Pretty much any caliper out of a full size car (such as a G-body) will use the same caliper and pad as our trucks. Pretty much any fullsize anything from the 70s and 80s used the same caliper (different banjo location and orientation) and same pads (#52).

P=F/A so if you have a fixed pressure coming from the master cylinder then the larger area of the piston the more force applied to the pad. However, pedal travel also increases (more volume).

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

G-body is mid-size, B-body is full size. Not all of them had "big brakes" either, but not sure if that was rotor diameter only, or thickness as well.

G-bodies are 10" rotors, and I doubt the calipers will open up anywhere near enough to fit the trucks 1.25" rotors.

Pin spacing between "metric" (g-body) stuff is supposedly somewhere around 5.5", trucks are 7", correct? Don't have either one laying around to check.

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, I screwed up. The G-body uses #154 pads and have brakes that rival a Geo Metro. Their brake hoses are perfect for a rear disc application though. haha.