Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

multi spark ingnitions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Feb 2, 2003.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

who's running them,do they help with low end grunt,how harsh is the rev limiter, wich one do you like best?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

MSD. I love mine. I have also heard good things about DUI.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had an MSD 6AL, and it helped quite a bit with the low end performance, smoothed out my idle, and increased my MPG by about 2 miles per gallon. The rev limiter feels a lot like valve float. Not too harsh.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

We've run both the MSD 6A and the Crane HI-6 on the dyno. Can't say there's much difference in HP. They're about equally priced, but the HI-6 comes with the rev limiter built in. To get a rev limiter from MSD costs extra and even then it isn't as easy to dial in the limit RPM.

Above about 3000 RPM there isn't enough separation in the ignition pulses for it to be truely multi-spark. What you have then is just a really long duration spark.

To my knowlege the DUI isn't a multi-spark module, that is if we're talking about their replacement for the stock HEI module. It does have far superior dwell over a stock module. In a side by side comparison btwn a DUI module and a Delco module, both had 45* of dwell at idle. The Delco module started tapering off and at ~2500 RPM it was down to 35-36* of dwell. THe DUI module we tested had 45* of dwell as high as we were willing to wing that engine.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have the whole MSD system.
    Pro billet distr., 6 series offroad box, rev limiter (it's a seperate box), and MSD 8.5 wires.

I like it a lot and it's way overkill for my 350. It has been some time since I put it on, but I know the idle is much better and it starts quicker too. It feels smoother in general.
    MSD says above 3000 rpm there is not enough time for a multiple spark, so it is only one spark.

A lot of people say aftermarket ignition stuff is not worth the money and frankly they are probably right. A brand new MSD or whatever brand HEI will cost about the same as just the 6 series offroad box and will perform almost as well.

I still like mine.
    -- Mike

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

DUI isn't multispark (as far as I know) but it throws alot better and hotter spark. Not to mention the fact that the module is programmed for your exact setup motor wise. You tell them what you have and they build a module for your specs. I talked to Toby (Moneypit) about his and he really likes it alot.

I personally like the MSD. It has worked very well for me. It is pricey, but it makes my motor run alot better then it did. Idle, mpg, starting, etc.

Harley

7. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

My wife hates your advice on this one, a local parts store has been twisting my arm to take a specail order some one didnt pick up on a mallory hyfire VIAL off there hands. The price at 105.00 is better then sumit at 169.95 and now you all have nothing but good to say about them. Sounds like a no brainer.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Never used the Mallory system. I have used the MSD 6al and the 7al race series. WELL WORTH THE MONEY. Does that mallory unit have a rev limiter In it? I say get it.