Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

multi user computer question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by driney, Jan 5, 2003.

1. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm trying to setup my computer so my wife can log on and use different preferences than I do. I have everything working so when she logs on Outlook Express has her e-mail address instead of mine. Only problem is I use Outlook and when I set it to the default e-mail program in my profile, it changes the default in her profile. She really would rather use OE instead of Outlook. What am I doing wrong?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What OS are you using? I believe the mail profiles are independant of the user profile. If she went to OE and you stayed with Outlook, that would work.

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I rember trying to do that on mine I wanted Outlook because thats what we use at work. But I could never get them to work so I just set up OE.

Actually I did get it to work I think, but I didnt like the way Outlook blocked attachments /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and didn't give you a way to turn that off so thats why I went OE. So it can be done /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. driney

Kinda dumb of me not to mention what OS I'm using. I thought everyone was still using Win98 SE! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The mail profile is right up to the point of the default e-mail program. Maybe it has something to do with my software being installed before I decided to make it a multi user system.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I recommend upgarding to Windows 2000 Professional. I love it. Both my kids, my wife, & I have seperate logins & seperate Outlooks pst's. It works very well. I also like the fact that I can limit the interent access seperately for each of my kids.

6. driney

I've thought about Win 2000. I was going to upgrade to XP but after my experience reactivating Office XP when I installed it on my new computer, I'm through with MS new activation scheme. Am I right in thinking Win 2000 doesn't use it?

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Win 2000 does not use it(activation scheme). Win98 isnt really a multi user OS. You should be able to do what you want with 2000 though.