Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Multiple Heater Core Leaks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wwbbq, Nov 22, 2005.

1. wwbbq

wwbbq Newbie

I am on my 5th or 6th heater core in a 92 K5, first 2 were dealer replacements. Have replaced cap, coolant, you name it. Leak is always internal to core, can find no evidence of damage or rubbing. Cores have been purchased at different places. Could it be electrolysis, maybe I should ground the heater core to the frame? Help.

Leaky and Cold

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When was the last time your cooling system was flushed and pressure tested?

3. wwbbq

wwbbq Newbie

thanks, tested a few weeks ago. The cores seem to last about 3-6 weeks, then develop a weep, which soon turns into a leak. I have checked the frame for any rubbed or skinned wiring, I thought that there might be a electrical circuit going on here and the alum core might be the weak point. I am truly stumped.

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you’re having a bad Electrolysis problem in your cooling system caused by a poor or non existent eng or body ground.

Check out the following link and learn more about it and how to test and correct the problem.

http://www.pliii.com/documents/electolysis91004.pdf

5. wwbbq

wwbbq Newbie

Thanks, after reading some on the net, there seems to be pro and con as to possible grounding the core, but I did find a Ford (perish the word) tech bulletin on electrolysis. It suggested that after checking all possible grounding issues, to ue a hose clamp on the core nozzle to attached a copper wire and run to body ground. I guess we will see, I think I will give it a try. Spending more on heater cores than gas.

Have yet to see a success story detailed though, just speculation.

thank again.