Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muncie sm 465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireman2138, Nov 9, 2005.

1. fireman2138

fireman2138 Newbie

hey all Getting a 76 k5 with a muncie sm465 but it is in desperat need of a clutch wondering if you had any sugestions as to a brand or anything like that....? thanks in advance
    Mike

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Are you just running the stock engine? I put a 454 in mine and run a Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch. I love it.

3. Mat Boardway

Mat Boardway Registered Member

A centerforce or Hay's clutches will never let you down. I've also ran napa clutches with out any problems. If you were looking for something killer I have Hay street & strip clutch with a Mcleod 3000# pressure plate. 300 miles on whole setup. Intentions of doing some truck pulling.

4. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Well I used the centerforce clutch I like that's it's centrifical it is alot more smooth than my stock clutch... also when you tear into a project you may encounter other things..If you plan on removing the trans take the time to inspect the trans output shaft and power sleeve and look into the adapter to see the condition of the input on the t-case. Also with a truck that old you may have worn clutch linkage to that may need to be replaced. The older 4x4 sm 465 is 10 spline and mine was worn and need replacement. The one thing I did not care to much was when I was ready to bolt the clutch to the flywheel the clutch did not have a alinment tool. so I had to run to town to borrow one..Also If I remember I needed to buy a throw out bearing seperate...And my parts guy got a self alinment throw out bearing that works with stamped steel clutch forks...I had to return the part to get a standard thorw out bearing for a cast iron clutch fork on my 71.

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Yes, Centerforce brand clutches often require a special throwout bearing. It is very smooth and light on the foot (especially when mechanical), but has weights that help clamp down at RPM.

And no, mine didn't come with an alignment tool either (which is odd considering you fork out so much cash for the clutch). But you can pick them up for a few bucks at most discount parts stores.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i got a autozone clutch... $132 lifetime warranty.... clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and that brass ring.... also got that nifty tool too...

funny thing is my father should have pattent it years ago.. he made on out of a old tranny... back in 1993 and used it... boy he could be rich by now :haha:

7. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

i run an luk clutch, it has been behind all 6 small blocks and my big block, holds great never had any problems :rolleyes:

8. fireman2138

fireman2138 Newbie

Stock 350 not looking for something to pricey just something strong and smooth.

9. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Luk Pro Gold- best clutch ever!!!