Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

muscle car guys,,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hi pinion, Mar 26, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ok, after a long debate, im considering trading my blazer,,,, this guy has 3 camaros,1967,1968, and a 1973,,,,i have a question,,, witch ones are worth the most? Im checking them out next weeknd. He said something about the 68 being a big block car, but, what do i look for? Ill either grab the 67, or 68, so , witch ones are worth the most??? :confused:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I don't know squat about Camaros but usually the cars in the 67 to 70 range are the most sought after.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I always thought the '67 was the best looking!

[​IMG]

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

IMHO 69's look the best of the 1st gens. 67's are desireable because, atleast in NC, they are 100% smog exempt. The 68 you dont hear much about, its got the middle child syndrome, kind of like the 56 chevy. Being a big block car is sweet, but depending on your states smog laws, it will keep you from being able to modify the car. 67 in NC, you can do whatever you want, if its a small block you could drop a 572 in it, no questions asked, but the 68 would have to have all the smog crap on it, but it just wouldnt have to pass a sniffer, just pass a visual.

The original big block cars, the heater core is different than the small blocks. If its an original small block car(unless the heater core has been changed), and it has a big block now, the heater hoses will come out of the firewall directly behind the pass side valve cover, and will come out and around the motor at a fairly severe angle. If its an original big block(or the heater core on a sbc car has been changed in a motor swap), the heater hoses will come out further towards the pass side fender, straight out.

As for which is worth the most, 67's around here are desireable for smog status, but everyone likes the looks of the 69's, and IIRC the 68 is more like the 69. The 67 has vent windows which kind of screw up the lines of the car. Original big blocks are big bucks.

1st gens are 67-69, and they typically bring more, and IMHO look better.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wow, tough choice. 60's are cooler but it's 2005. so seventys are cool also.:thinking: by the by the dmv asked me if i wanted a historic vehicle plate for mine!!!LOL what so i can only drive it in parades??? too funny:laugh:

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

The guy says its an original 396 ss car :blush: :blush: :blush: OH ctap!!! I think i just struck gold!!!! :grin:

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

YOU GOT PICS?

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If I had to choose between the three I would chose the 68. The 68 had most of the bugs worked out of it that were in the 67, like a better tuned suspension and they didn't have those damned wing windows. The 73 was just a smoged guttless wonder so pass on it. Then again it boils down to what options the cars had. You say the 68 is a big block car! Well is it a numbers matching one or was it just a six cylinder car that some gacked out tweeker slapped together at 3:00 am? Is the 67 a numbers matching car? When it comes to a muscle cars having most of the original equipment usually wins out over what is actually under the hood or the year, IMHO.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

None of the three IMO. I'd hold out for a 69 just because it's that much better looking to me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not a Camaro fan though. To be honest this is the one and only year I've ever liked or would ever own.

Just my 2 cents...

Rene

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I dunno, but were talking about a 1985 blazer for heavens sakes, you dont think it would be worth it? I plan on buying another blazer, something withought the computer, for 1500 or so, but, i hate that 85 blazer, and i was thinking for the re-sale value alone it might be worth it. He says its an original 396 SS/RS :confused:

I agree, the 69 is my favorita also, i like the shark fins on the side:)

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The fender styling on the 69 was a direct rip-off from Mercedes at the time...but it always looked better on the Camaro. :)

Anyone that would trade a numbers matching 68 396 SS Camaro for an 85 Blazer is a complete idiot. Nothing personal against your truck Jake...but I'd seriously have a very hard look at the Camaro before doing anything. In fact I'd find an independant expert of some sort and pay him to check the car out top to bottom. If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is too good to be true.

The 73 was a POS and not even that good looking (again IMO, please don't take offense if you own one)

Big blocks are always cool, but I'd much rather have a 69 with the 302 Zapper and a 4 speed... :cool1:

Rene

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I'd go for the 73 just because I've had one, and seams too be the rarer body style.

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

THANKS!!! BTW the guy sounds like a complete asshat lol, well have to see , i dont think he knows what he has!!! :grin:

15. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

As far as the camaro's that you have to choose from, I like the 67's but if the 68 is an original BB car and has the original BB, I'd be all over it. Camaros in general I prefer 70-71

16. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

check the numbers, if they are matching numbers then yeah the 396 ss can be worth some bucks, depending on condition, check out barrett-jackson.com, they auction off a lot of this stuff, good luck:cool1:

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

69 is fine as wine!

My older brother had a 69 SS just like the red one with texas plates in Rene's post!--I drove it 150 miles once on the highway,it had 4.56 gears and a 327 and a muncie M22 4 speed--it sounded like it was in second gear at 60 mph!!--but that thing screwed from 0 to 80,I swear it only took 6 seconds!!

My late friend Randy had one just like it too,his had the RS/SS package with a 350, TH350,hide-away headlights--his mother sold it for 3500 bucks after he died--she offered it to me first for a little less,but I couldn't bear to even look at it after he left us way too soon..even his brother who always begged him to let him drive it didn't want it after that...

I think the 69 had the best body style of them all--and a one year car too,makes it more unique!(and 69 is one of the best numbers too:p: )

The 67-68's are nice too,but there are several dozen of them at every car show and swap meet lately--ho-hum....kinda like the 70-72 Chevelles--nice cars,but it seems like everyone has one...probably worth more than the 73 though...

The 73 Camaro wasn't all that bad--they were anemic stock,(307+Powerglide!:surepal: :tongue1: ) ,but most of the ones I saw and rode in had 400 small blocks from Impala's stuffed in them,or 454's--A guy that lived behind my house bought one brand new at age 19!--he worked at a grocery store since he was 15 to get it--I remember him showing me the "build sheet" on the window--full price with a 350,TH400,A/C and a few other options--3500 something bucks!--wish I could buy one now for that price...

I bet the 73-77 years get more popular as time goes by,and the prices will rise--many of them were already scrapped,so they might just be the rarest years to find soon..the body style is pretty cool--I think a Vega from the same era looks like a baby 70's camaro...:crazy:

18. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Dude ! A 68 Big Block Camaro even if its not a pristine concours car, as long as its not a total hack job I'd be all over that deal :xmas: ...

19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If it is an orig 396 SS, numbers matching, grab it and fast. Lowest HP version was 325 horses, with a Q-Jet carb. I think the next step up was a 375 horse version with a factory Holley carb, and maybe mech cam. Sounds like a fun ride either way.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

70 and a half through 73 are same body. 74 was minor changes, 75 to 81 basicly same.