Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muscle Car Hunting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HoodRich, Dec 18, 2006.

1. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

I figured I'd try networking through the site here to try and locate a car for a client of mine. We are hunting a '69 or '70 Chevelle Convertible big block, LS6 or LS5 or even L78. I know they are pricey but we are trying to find one period, so can anyone point me towards one?

Thanks steveo

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

eBay?

Hemming?

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

There is nothing on ebay right now. I've followed up with several in Hemmings but nothing is panning out. This car cannot be a replica, it needs to be an original.

5. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

got to be a vert?

6. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Yeah, hes a big fella plays pro ball so he wants a convertible.

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Check here: http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline.com/searchresults.php There's a few here, and they're BIG bucks.

I'm looking to get rid of my GTO convertable and buy a 70 Chevelle SS convertible. Living on an Air Force paycheck, I'm probably going to go with a 396 since the 454s are going for so much.

What color does he want? :D

12071_1.jpg

80379974_1.jpg

86044449_6.jpg

86838913_1.jpg

8. 76zimmer

Thats half the reason they are so damn expensive.
    I hope he appreciates it.

9. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Theres a lot more to it than that. Thanks for the link i'll check it out.

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

y'know, the wealthy collectors are the reason there is such a healthy automotive aftermarket.. so what if all the original Z28 camaros are out of my reach..they were out of my reach when they were going for 15 grand.

no sense in being jealous of the guy who has more money than me..besides, a restoration industry spawned in order to serve these rich guys is what made it easy for me to build my plain jane 69 into something I like better anyway, and I can flog the whiz out of it and not care.

Tom

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    No help but I still miss my 70 SS 396. Never should have sold it.
    Back when I needed the money, I sold it for $1,200. Sucks.
    Maybe try a search for the guys in the Chevelle club of Mich.
    Chuck is the Pres. and maybe someone is selling?

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know of one..but its not mint...and not for sale--YET!

The guy I work for once in while has a used car lot...he has a bunch of cars he bought for parts over the years,stashed at his dads house in a rural town..I went there a few weeks ago for the first time in 15 years,and nothing looked different!--I'd forgotten he had some neat older cars there,including a couple of 55 Chevy's,that could be restored,but are in pretty rough shape..

I saw a decent 67 Chevelle there--was hit lightly in the nose,needs a bumper and griil and hood,fenders could be fixed..will run,has a small block in it..said he'd sell it for 700 bucks!..I'm tempted to get it,another friend of mine bought a 68 Nova that was there,and was recently offered 3K for it,with no motor and tranny!.:eek1: ....thats how scarce old cars are getting here!..

But the one that broke my heart was a 1968 or 69 Chevelle--a factory big block SS car,sitting there rotting away!..all original and unmolested too..but his brother,who owns it,is one of those guys who "is going to restore it someday",and wont sell it ..he'd better hurry,because its getting pretty rough!..but I doubt he'll ever do anything with it...:doah:

I am one of about 20 guys who'd buy that car in a heartbeat, if he did decide to part with it..I hate it when someone has a desireable classic,and they just let it waste away..happens way too often here...:(

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look here. They are close to where I grew up and always have nice restored muscle cars. Look about half way down the page. There are a couple there like this one -

14. 76zimmer

A lot of these cars are going over seas too. I don't like that idea....but Money talks. There are a lot of fake cars out there too. Like Chevy only made about 1084 Copo's and there are only 1500 of them left.

15. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who has one he bought to fix up and sell, he is in Iraq right now, was wanting to take the car to Barret Jackson when he comes back on leave but is entertaining offers at the moment.

1970 Chevelle SS LS6/4spd, it has low miles, forget off the top of my head the number, but its low. its red with white racing stripes, all numbers matching rotisserie restoration, this thing is cherry, looks like its fresh off of the showroom floor. This thing is all numbers matching everything, complete and new condition. I have ridden in this car, smooth door clasps, drives like a new car.......I was speechless the whole ride. If your serious, you can email me at <uao1985@yahoo.com>(by serious I mean north of $150k low balling), and I will get you some pictures and a phone number to check it out further.

Regards,
    Remington

16. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

What kind of documentation can the gentlemen provide? Build Sheets for example? That is what is going to make the car bring money at Barrett Jackson, I assume the West Palm Beach Auction and not Scottsdale, AZ in Jan.? Who completed the restoration on the car? That also makes a difference, it will bring more from a reputable shop and bubba and his backyard buddies. I'll look for the car at B.J. as we'll be set up both places with our shop's rig.

steve

17. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

He has the original build sheet, documented resto by a fellow I believe is in Houston, sorry but I dont know all the details, but it definitely wasnt a backyard resto. This is by far one of the best concourse restorations I have ever seen, a few weeks ago he was buttoning up all the little details like nuts and bolts stuff and the factory speakers were fubared and didnt work so he spent close to $2k on new OEM factory speaker harnesses and OEM brand new speakers and a few misc grommets that were missing for the headlight harness...That is how insanely detailed this car really is......when he told me that I was shocked to say the least. As of right now, I am not sure when his stay of leave is scheduled, which auction and where will all depend on him since he wants to be a part of the whole thing, he might be at BJ and might not, he said that was his goal though, so we'll see what happens. If you would like some more info on the car, email me or send me a pm and I will get you a phone number so you can get the information you need on the car.

Regards,
    Remington

18. pipeline

pipeline 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner