Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Muscle Cars

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 79Stomper, Sep 11, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I am soon to be in the market for a car. I am getting a substantial bonus from work and well I want a sports car. So I was thinking maybe a Trans Am or a new Camaro, but hell they don't make them anymore. WTF???? So I am now looking at a new Mustang GT Convertable:laugh::laugh: 300 horses with a 4.6l motor

but what ever happened to the Camaro's and TA's????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Maybe a new GTO...if you can find one

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

F-Body's went away with a bunch of corporate red tape about building them at one of the Canada Plants and a government loan to GM and not being able to build a car with the Camaro/Firebird name anywhere else for so many years. There are lots of rumors of why but I think this is the main reason- it all comes down to corporate B.S. and money alocated to other area's within GM. So sad.......
    Tom

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I fell in love with this car long ago,,,, not too common either,,

In fact, after i fix and sell the one i have now ,,this is what im getting next,, :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

These cars are sick :D I dont know why, but , ive always wated a 66 or 67 442 , pretty cool :D

5. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

Get an old camaro...more fun to drive anyways!
    (nevermind the furd in the background it was my old man's company vehicle!)

[​IMG]

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Old school rules!!

Screw the new computerized 30,000 dollar scrap iron!..get an old GTO,or a 442 like HiPinoion posted about,or an older Camaro or Chevelle..if you can score one with a rust free body,you cant lose!--like money in the bank,and parts are readily available now for all the old muscle cars you could not get 10 years ago..classic looks never go out of style!.. :wink1:

If you have to go new,I'd say that new Chevy "SSR" truck looks cool!--but I dont know whats under the hood--bet its not a 454!..and it will only carry 500 lbs,so its not really a "truck" either,and no place for kids or groceries... :doah:

I wish they would either reproduce the old muscle cars with 2005 style drivtrains,or make something like a PT cruiser with a V8 and a 5 speed in it!..Neon motors dont give much of a thrill in them..we have the know how,just no company with the nuts to build something like that!.. :doah: :crazy:

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

If you want a newer musclecar, go get an '02 camaro with the LS1. they aren't hard to find, and will run low 13's bone stock. Nice flat torque curve too. Earlier LT4 & LT1 cars are worthy too.

The last generation camaros can be had for a good price nowadays. Too bad I hate the way they look.

Tom

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If I was buying new I'd go Dodge. Charger or Magnum. The new GTO has the hardware but not the looks. Same deal for the last gen Camaro.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Why don't you get a civic? They can run 11's with a wing and chrome muffler... :haha:

My personal Favorites?

1970 Olds 442 W-30
    1962 Impala SS 409
    1967 Camaro 327
    1967 Nova
    1972 Camaro
    1967 Corvette 427

Honestly, I'd just get a newer Camaro Z28 or SS, 98 and up. You can get them for 10g or more less than a new mustang and it'll spank it's ass. Besides, the new Stangs just don't look that great. They need large wheels (18's or 19's) to look good, and wheels that big and heavy don't help performance. GTO's aren't bad, they're just pricey, although this year they have 390 horses...

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My problem with the Charger or Magnum is they have 2 too many doors. In my mind, a muscle car doesn't have 4 doors.

11. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I agree, that is why i dont really like the looks of the newer chargers or the magnum. If the funds are there i would go old school. I've always liked the 69 rs camaro, 1970 chevelle ss396, and the 68 roadrunner would be sweet too.

12. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

13. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

damn, i wish i had the money, i frickin love the front ends of the 69 rs camaros.. way awesome

14. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6... need I say more.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am going to break from the crowd and say.......Get the new Mustang! :D :thumb: :thumb: Yul love it. With a 6 speed you will see 13s no problem in the 1/4. 05 time slip They respond well to modifications, Handle good (better than GTO). IMO dont think you can find a better bang for the buck. Install a Vortec S-trim for a few grand more and you will have a 420 HP beast.
    GM lost the pony car wars years ago. Their last dying gasp is the GTO.......
    If you want to talk UGLY. Well the new GTO fits that bill. It looks like a Grand Am on steroids & rice. Even Cadillac CTS Vs are spanking their butts on the race track.

The new Dodge Charger?? :haha: :haha: :haha: Not even close to a Muscle car. Dodge hasn't made a Charger since 1972.

16. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

honestly i think the 4.6 is junk. give me a torque motor anyday. had to add an extra valve per cylinder to hit 300 hp. last i checked gm was making 350hp in a camaro almost 8 years ago. go drive an 05 gto. you'll get over the looks the first time you mash the skinny pedal and burn the tires as long as you'd care to. that 6.0 sounds awesome. and is rated for 24-26 mpg with the six speed.

too bad they dont qualify for the employee discount. (even at that would still be around $29,000). probably no employee discount on mustang either.

ryan

17. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

we've got three in stock, two torrid reds, and a midnight blue is what you call it i think.

shouldnt be too hard to find one. come to cola, sc if you want a test drive :wink1:

ryan

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm alittle odd, I like the 78 to 87 GM G-bodys. No, they didn't come from the factory with alot of power, but I like thier size and body style. It's not hard too swap engines, transmissions, and rear ends, so you can build them as bad arse as your bank account will let ya. Heck, I think they're more fun when you pick the parts anyways. New is nice, but then it the same as everybody else's. I say start off with something that you like the looks of, and build it into what you want.

19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I agree with the Mustang for a new car. One of the guys at work has a GTO and maybe its because I cant stand him, but I think his garage queen GTO and everything he says about it is crap. And something bout ordering pars from australia or something like that for an over priced grand prix just seems anoying. Now the engine in the GTO get good marks but everything else about it...yuck

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned