Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mushroomed plugs?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by four_by_ken, Oct 7, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, whats the whole story about mushroomed glow plugs? What is the cause and all?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well they swell up at the tip when they burn out (sometimes), Not really sure why they swell though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The newer plugs, like the 60G, are Positive Temperature Control and don't burn out/mushroom .

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The tips of some glowplugs swell (mushroom) when subjected to too long of a glow time, typically caused by over-riding the stock controller with a manual button or switch. While having manual control over glow plugs is fine, a lot of guys tend to hold the switch too long, burning the plugs up.

This situation can also be caused by a faulty controller which shorts out and leaves the plugs on indefinitely.

The older 8G, 9G, and 11G plugs were all subject to swelling. Supposedly, the 60G plus are not. I have 60G plugs in my truck now, and they have lasted longer than any other plug I've used yet.

The swollen plug causes a problem when you go to remove it. It jams in the glow plug hole, and in the worst case, the tip breaks off and falls down into the pre-combustion chamber. This requires removal of the injector in order to fish out the broken pieces.

Casey

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I had a tip break off, but it hasn't fallen into the pre combustion chamber. I can really remove it from the injector hole? This is great news to a guy who was just pricing head gaskets! =)

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Not only possible, but down right quick!... 15 minutes after breaking the tip off the glow plug, I was threading the new glowplug in and trying to start the truck.