Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Must read saggy butt question/ comment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Mar 3, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

how many people out there have trucks with saggy butt? of those who say yes, how many have looked to see if the spring packs in the rear werent cracked? i am just currious, because i see a lot of people on here putting a zero rate in or a shackle flip to cure saggy butt. in the two K-5's ive had and one of my dads many, they had saggy butt, and it was in every case one if not both rear spring packs with atleast the main leaf and sometimes more leafs broken right in half. just a heads up to take a flash light out there and look between the u bolts once and a while.

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

nothin at my house has a saggy butt....

(though my k5 might have before the lift's)

Brandy

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Believe you'll find most of the cracked springs are in trucks that are from back east.

Never seen a broken leaf spring until I was in NC. Both my K5 (bought by me in VA, not sure of original purchase state) had a broken leaf, and the one I was *trying* to get from the wrecking yard broke as soon as the weight was removed from it.

I ran into a (related?) problem when I went to buy my house. I talked to a nationwide insurer, and they asked me what the pipes for the house were made of. I said galvanized, and they said they couldn't insure me. I finally got through to someone a little more knowledgeable, and turns out, back east is where they won't insure galvanized iron pipes, in my state, it's ok.

I did some more research, and found that metal pipelines in the east have problems that aren't experienced out west, and I believe that was attributed to the composition of the soil. Kinda weird stuff, but only reason short of salt that I can think of that would cause leafs to break so commonly back east, but not out west.

And yes, on my '83, the butt was saggy especially on one side with that broken leaf.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well being I am "ANTI SAGGY BUTT" I installed 2.5 sky jacker springs, and a reverse shackle flip in the front its just new 6 inch bds springs and a 3 inch body lift to top it off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the rear is a litttle higher but from the top of each tire to the fender is right at 12.5 inches to 12.1/4 in the front so its damn close, but the body line does slope frome the back to the front so there is a decline.

I like the stance though, gives me that extra 1 inch of "I see your kid, wont run him over" visability /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Nah, mine are not cracked at all, and I needed 2" blocks to keep it level when it was stock! It's the fact that these spring are not different than the springs on the pickups, but they have more weight on the consistently with the heavy, closed butt end of these trucks. More weight for longer periods of time, they're gonna sag. GM should've added a leaf or something to prevent this...

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i had saggy butt when i did my lift and sure enuff both /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif rear main leafs were cracked in half. truck was orginally from cape cod MA /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif that was the dumbest place on earth to buy a truck /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck had saggy butt because my dad had a 2.5" lift installed and the rears were add a leaves. So they sagged. I put in a ORD Zero Rate to help cure that problem though.

None of my springs where cracked when I installed the zero rate, or later when I installed the 14bff. My truck is an original AZ truck though.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i like my saggy butt, but that's the prerunner in me. the desert has a weird effect on you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

When I got my Blazer the rear was saggin quite a bit. The reason I put the lift on was cuz both rear springs had cracks in almost all of the leafs. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

The leaf under the main leaf is cracked on both sides of my Jimmy, i live in minnesota but the truck originated in Alaska and spent some time out east. Time to add those 4" springs in the rear that i have wanted.

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I cracked the leaf below the main leaf on one of my spring packs, and my truck has lived its whole life in NV. It was hardly even used for work, I think it was just a lot of abuse /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Of course when you ask who has saggy butt, you have to define saggy butt. There are different ways to determine the height of the front and the rear and different opinions on what the proper stance should be.

The first way to measure height is the wheel openings. It is obvious to anyone who has ever looked for it, that the front wheel openings are cut higher up than the rear. The difference is about 2" and this adds to the "appearance" of saggy butt. If you get the same fender to tire distance front and rear, the truck will lean forward.

Another obvious way to measure height is to the body line, either from the ground or the top of the tire. Remember, though, that the rear tire is often set further in than the front (narrower axle), which can make for some error.

In my mind, a "flat" truck is one that has it's body line parallel to the ground. This will put the rear fender 2" closer to the tire than in the front. For me, the perfect stance is an even compromise between the fender openings and the body line, based on my own trial and error adjustments. This puts the body line in the back of the truck 1" higher than in the front with the wheel opening 1" lower. Your opinion may vary.

Keep in mind as well, that a load will lower the back and removing the hard top will raise it, so you may want to pick a compromise based on what kind of stuff you do with your truck.