Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mutha @#$%&@% Neon does it to me again!!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ChevyCaGal, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok.... my drove my Neon to work today (why I dunno my truck was actually running! ahhhh). I go out to start it up to go to another site and the lights and everything come on, but it won't turn over... great...... so I get out and check it out... I look at the battery and trace the negative cable down to the solenoid. Well, I find my answer there. There's a wire there fried up to a crispy... I have no idea what it does, don't care but I can replace it easy it's just some 10g wire and a connector.... however there's a bolt coming out of the front left of the solenoid that has this wire and the negative battery cable attached to it... this bolt (or whatever it is) is very loose. It wiggles back and forth and side to side. It's in there (as in I can't yank it out by hand), but loose.... wtf is this bolt? When I replaced the battery cables last year I don't recall it moving around at all. I took to nut off took the wires off put new ones on and wham... it was done.... is this thing attached inside the solenoid? Or is it attached to a bracket? I just want to make sure it's not busted off insider the solenoid. I can get it to start up but it dies because the wire connector is busted, just sits there to make contact... I'm gonna walk up to Autozone soon to get the wire and connector. I know it'll start, but I don't wanna blow up my starter if this bolt is busted in the solenoid.... I have limited tools being at work. I can take the starter off to check but would rather not if I don't have too right here in the parking lot.... waiting til home would be helpful....so anyone know about this? Thanks.........!

Oh yeah for what it's worth it's a 95, 4 banger, auto tranny, 2.0L... has a/c.... the vin code is c when looking up parts... thanks.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sorry to say this but I had to laugh at you. You get down right pissed when your mad LOL.
    Anyways from what you describe and from what I know of starters (never messed with a neon starter) it sounds like a carrige bolt! It should have a square head on the inside of the solenoid. If this is the case and you can get to it no problem (battery disconected) turn the bolt with your fingers untill tou fill it lock in place and tighten down the lock nut. I hope that I understood you alright and that this helps.

3. ChevyCaGal

Ok... question.... can I replace that bolt with just any bolt that is about the same? Reason I ask is when it came loose the wire touched another one and it fried.... so that wire I fired but that bolt.... it's fried too.... thanks!

(I wasn't that mad!! Ok yes I was.... I got it home thanks to the power of duct tape... too bad it fried too.... but I think I can fix it if I can get the mutha freaking thing off. There's no room! Now I know why the Blazer is so easy to work on... I can sit in the engine bay it's so roomy!)

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would say your best bet would be to take the bolt in to NAPA and see if they can match it up I wouldnt mess with anywhere else for something like this. If you have no luck finding one then perhapes you (if you have a set ) could retap the bolt. You really want it to match up so it dont come loose againe.

5. ChevyCaGal

You can't get it out though (thought I could but on further inspection nope!).... if you saw what I meant it's not like I can undo it. the top of it goes in side the solenoid and there's no way to get it out short of breaking it open. The solenoid doesn't come seperate from the starter either.... they are attached. Ain't that a kick in the teeth...! And to get the starter loose you need to be a circus contortionist.... so it's gonna sit there.... screw it. I hate that car. I'll drive my truck. Rather get 8 mpg with it then 50 with that car... now if my truck starts tomorrow I'm good.... right now that's iffy.... but even limping along is better then a new Neon.... those cars suck!

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well It's the thought that counts. Most of my dealings with startes have been with GM products so it was really a shot in the dark. Hate to hear you having so much trouble with the neon but I'm really not suprized. I used to work at this shop and my buddy still works there and neon's are one of his bread makers, let's just say he's a pro at changing out blown up motors and they usually have around 50-60,000 mi. on them.

7. ChevyCaGal

Yeah it sucks... funny thing is the tranny and engine are fine and I'm impressed with them both. It's the other stuff like brakes and the electrical system that's a nightmare! Good gawd I think a first grader designed them...!! My mom jokingly suggested I back over it with my truck in a lot somewhere and leave it and then act all surprised when it's found... I laughed at her but then I got to thinking.... LOL! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The "bolt" or post or whatever, thats loose on the soloniod was making a poor connection internally in the solonoid. Which caused a higher than normal resistance in that curicuit. Which "fried" your wiring. If the starter/soloniod are not avaible separate it sounds like you need a new assy. The wiring to the starter however, (I'm not sure how its wired) on our trucks is a fuseable link, which is supposed "fri" when there is a problem whithin that curicuit. Your neon may have fuses but I don't think so. So when you fix the wiring you will need to put some fusable links on the wiring. Hope that helps you out. I think I would drive the blazer all the time! LOL, 8 MPG HA! We all have money to burn. Right?

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I used to get stranded with my old 77 Impala winter car to until I rigged up a fusable link too ! I placed it high up on the fire wall instead of down near the starter for easier changes as well. Best thing I ever did for that car.