Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

muuuhaahahahh 454

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newbe73, Mar 19, 2002.

1. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

hey there everyone i have 73 chevy balzer with a 350 in it will i was just wonedring what i would all need to but a 454 . if any of you have done this thell me and if you havent dont act like you have. this i verry inmportant cuz if it is not to much becids to $1200 rebilt 454then i would love to do it. thanks for reading eveyone. and if you could help me out i wouls apreacieat it

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay I'll bite- what the h*ll are you asking? 33 people have looked at this post, but nobody has answered, seems to me they are all scratching their head like I am--

what i would all need to but a 454 ---do you MEAN BUILD?

not to much becids to $1200 rebilt 454--what the h*ll is that?

clarify that a bit more and you might get an answer-

Brandy

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I think he want to know all the aspects of a SBC to a BBC swap...What are the cost aside form the $1200 rebuild he has "planned"... I don't really know, I am just clarifying...

Chris

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

to get the 454 to go in you'll need all the accessories with it(power steering, alt, pulleys..) motor mounts and the right headers/exhaust manifolds. tranny will bolt right up and I think the motor mounts will too if you move them. While you're at it throw in a 4 core radiator.

5. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

welll what i am asking iis what i willl need for the 454 becids just the engin . will all me 350 suff still work for that 454 if it would i will be so happy, i am sorry for the confusion sorry.if you could help me out thanks

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Dude, slow down and pay attention to what you're typing. We'll help you out, but it's got to be in English. (I apologize if English is not your primary language or if you are less than 10 years old /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

7. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly, he is 17 years old. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif No offense newbie73, but I hope you go back to school and learn how to spell. If you want a tip don't watch TV, read books and magazines as much as you can. Reading here is good, but you're not the only one here that has problems with spelling. Just because you see a word here doesn't mean it's spelled right. Reading will help you learn to spell. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been biting their tounges, and not saying anything about your posts. I occaisionally make mistakes myself, but I always proofread my posts and try to correct as many of my mistakes as possible. I hope this doesn't make you leave us here, but please try to make your posts readable. Good luck on your project.

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

that was my point exactly! I for one can't spell for sh*t,,, but if it looks REALLY funny, I'll keep retyping it till it looks better LOL...

its hard especially for me, who doens't know the "lingo" with trucks/parts,, and all that stuff- to decifer a post to begin with, then when I have to read it 10 times just to try to figure out what it is its even harder LOL

DEFINETLY use the "I WANT TO PREVIEW MY POST." option, it will show you what its going to look like to all of us...

just my .02

Brandy

9. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

Were you trying to be funny?
    "Reading will help you learn to spell. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been biting their tounges, and not saying anything about your posts. I occaisionally make mistakes myself,"

It's tongue and occasionally hehe.. don't you hate it when you fudge while correcting someone?

His post was way out there in the spelling department though.

Show your love.. this is my first post.

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I just finished my swap. This is how it went:

Your old engine mounts will work. I recommend you buy new inserts since it will be easy to swap them. You must get 350 engine mounts.

Get as many brackets from the 454 as you can, since none from the 350 will work on it. I was able to get the alt bracket from PAW www.pawengineparts.com . I couldn't get a power steering bracket so I had to ask a shop to fabricate one. I'm going to need new brackets for the A/C too. I just hope it fits between the oversized valve cover and the brakes' master cylinder.

The tranny bolts perfectly. I'm currently using my TH350, but I know that won't last. I'll have to search for a TH400 (or 4L80 if I win the lottery) with a 4wd output. Let's hope the TH350 holds on until I can afford a stronger tranny. I had to use a different torque converter because mine didn't have the correct bolt pattern for the flexplate, and the 454 came with a good one. www.summitracing.com sells dual pattern flexplates if you don't have another torque converter.

I'm using the same carb I had in my 350 engine. It's an Edelbrock 1902 Q-jet rated 750cfm. It's a sweet carb. I really love it.

the 454 came with a set of Thorley headers. They were 303Y which is for 2wd application, but fit no problem. I'll have to remove about 10" of exhaust pipes because the Thorleys are longer than the Flowtech Afterburners I removed.

I removed the old 2 core radiator and installed a new 4 core one from www.radiator.com I got a discount because I'm a CK5 member

I took it for its first spin this past weekend and the only problems were 1) The fan shroud was too close to the alt belt and apparently it flexed under high RPMs and cut the belt. I'll be removing about 1.5" of fan shroud near the alt this weekend. 2) The tranny only shifts manually. According to the replies I got in a post here at CK5 there's not enough vacuum reaching the tranny, so I could have a leak somewhere. 3) the tranny dipstick tube is leaking where it connects to the tranny.

In short, the toughest parts were:
    1) Removing/installing balancer to replace timing chain without the proper tool.
    2) Cleaning 454 so I could paint it.
    3) TH350 dipstick tube was a pain to install. I used silicone and still I have a leak.
    4) Vacuum line from intake manifold to tranny had to be bent in order to fit since the new manifold sits higher than the 350's.
    5) Finding someone who would rent me a cherrypicker or hoist to do the swap.

I hope this helps. Here are some pics of the swap: http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup42