Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MX6 shocks on the burb?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 1, 2004.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How do you like them? I have a good amount of bounce and rough ride in the frontend of my K5 (6" BDS springs with lower leaf removed, ES9000 shocks).

Do you think these would help me and how much do they run?

Thanks
    Ross

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've been pretty happy, the only thing I've noticed about them is they seem to be kind of temperature sensitive and I don't know if it's any more or less than other shocks. They do use an orifice for the adjustable portion of the damping and fluid viscosity is definitely a big factor in that type of valving (or any valving for that matter). Of course everything gets a little stiff and rattly when there's no degrees outside and that's what I'm dealing with now. If any of you in warm places want to send some degrees up here, we're running a deficit.

Really, I've been happy with the ride, they'll adjust from way too soft to way too hard, so you should be able to find a setting you're happy with.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd have to see what deals they have going on the shocks but they're usually right around $100 each.

3. Stephen

They worked a lot better today a +20 than they did yesterday at -20. Imagine that. It feels like my suspension is actually moving now. I think the fact that the ice melted out of the springs a little bit helps too.

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

stef on your burb do you run those mx6 shocks front and back? I have the quad shocks set up in the front of my suburban and was wondering when I install my lift should I ditch the four shocks and run a pair of those MX6 in the front???

thanks justin

5. Stephen

I've become a big fan of ditching multiple shocks and going to one good shock. The only reason to run multiples is for heat control and if you can't get enough damping out of a single shock. With the shocks we have today, on a recreational 4wd, there's very little need for more than one shock per wheel. So yes, I think going to a single shock like the MX6 would be fine for you. I can turn mine up stiff enough that I don't want to ride in it and they hold up nicely to running hard for moderate distances.

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've read and heard that there are differnet valving for the longer or custom length MX6 shock. What valving do your use and/or recommend?

Thanks

7. Stephen

I'm running the recommended shocks for the 4" lifted GM straight axle. I'm not sure how their "universal fit" shocks are valved but I'm assuming it's close to the same since they're typically going to be used on a solid axle with no real leverage against them. The big problem with "universal" valving is that a truck with the shock mounted on the a-arm puts a lot more leverage on the valving. Anything close to the same weight as your truck with a similar suspension setup will have valving that's pretty close. You probably don't want to put a superduty shock on a jeep but putting a superduty shock on a heavy GM truck wouldn't be far off.
    Pro-comp is pretty tight with info about these, it's hard to even get a length for anything other than the fabricator's special shocks.