Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 10-bolt is sloppier than a sorority chick on a 3 day bender...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Oct 15, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have way overloaded the design limits of my 10-bolts for the last 3 years ever since I switched to 35x12.50s. I just wanted to let you guys know the long term effects of 10-bolt abuse, besides breakage of course. Yes, I know these are signs of impending doom like axle breakage and wheel loss, etc... please no lectures. I have the 14-bolt in my storage building waiting to go in sometime in the next month and this truck is no longer my daily driver. It has spent the last month in the garage waiting for upgrades.

Anyways, my 10-bolt is a stock 28 spline rear except for the Auburn limited slip that went in after the Gov-loc went pop. Here's where the sloppiness comes in. Everytime I go around a corner on these little WV two-lane roads I can feel and hear my passenger side axle slipping in and out of the housing. Sometimes it even make the truck lurch to the side. I took it all apart last year when this started only to find that the ends of the axles were worn down, the c-clip grooves were bigger, the splines looked like knife edges where they engaged the side gears /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, and the side gears in the limited slip are worn enough to allow lateral movement. Also, the housing is a little bent so it's on it's third set of ring and pinions, thankfully they have a lifetime warranty from 4WPW. Basically it thrashed and I probably won't even be able to sell it for more than scrap when the tons go in this fall.

So, can anybody top my sloppy 10-bolt? Once again, I am not condoning driving worn out crap on the street. This truck is primarily off road only. Just having a little fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 10-bolt is sloppier than a sorority chick on a 3 day bender...

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 14 bolt semi floater has a bent axleshaft on the left side from where some crazy b**** broadsided me a few years ago. It leaks a bit and I keep filling it up. Can't wait to get my 1 tons in either!

4. steelsoldiers

Do you get a nice little tire wobble going down the road? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I hope I can top it. Once when I was 19 I was in between paychecks and had to use a pinto alternator outta pops backyard ( free ) , had to use stack of lugnuts and the long bolt as the bracket under my chevelles alternator wouldn't fit. ran it without a regulator and burnt up my battery. Lasted 9 days!! Another one was blowing up the 10 bolt in my chevelle with a 383, and upon towing it home the axle slid out of the housing with tire and brake drum attached., luckily I stopped before fender hit the ground. Haven,t had any bad luck with the 10 bolt in my blazer yet and my GOV-LOC still lives!!

6. steelsoldiers

Dude that's some serious "southern construction"!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Where's the duct tape in that story? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Just beat on your Gov-Loc 10-bolt some more, you'll break it eventually. I broke the poop out of mine doing donut in a muddy field with 33x12.50 swamper radials. It drove fine in a straight line, but when I would go around a corner it would go "BANG, BANG, BANG,..." /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Broke a couple of spider gears /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Don't know if it tops it but it is ANOTHER 10 bolt horror story!! I was Leaving work with a couple of co-workers/roommates in a chevy and a toyota behind me, we were going to Dennys to eat, when leaving a stop light I got the great idea to wear some rubber off of my 33's. After turning them over through the intersection I heard and felt a huge thud, like someone a$$h^led me. I coasted into a parking lot, where (to my surprise) a cop happened to be sitting. He and I looked around, I checked the u-joints and such and locked in the hubs. I drove to Dennys, thanking god I didn't get a ticket, on the on the front axle. Left the Blazer there and the next day went to pick it up. Hopeing I could get away with driving it home on the front axles, I made the turn out of the parking lot when a friend started honking, I looked in my mirror and the axles was hanging out about a foot and half. Needless to say, I got to replace the carrier, ring&pinion, all bearings, and put in a lock-right to take place of the spriders. Young and dumb but I learned something.... When you blow up your ten bolt it is cheaper to find a 12 or 14 and make the swap!!!! Next time I guess!!

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you get a nice little tire wobble going down the road? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

According to my friend, yes...but I've never noticed it. It's possible he was seeing the results of my bent tie rod too.