Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 1200 dollar burb!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, I got my burb finally!!! after a bad mishap on the road (a piece of asphalt was left on the road and launched into my windshild and hood at 70mph, looks like someone tossed a baseball at my windshield), and then spending 72 dollars to fill up the tank to get home..... here's what I got:

The good:
    1983 Chevy Burb, 1/2 ton, 2wd Barn doors, 233,000mi.
    Rebuilt motor (6.2 Diesel, Orangy red paint, Was the original block, so it should be the desireable 82-83 block!). pump was also rebuilt.
    Tranny was rebuilt and updated (700R4)
    IP was rebuilt
    interior is in good shape, 3 row seating
    Silverado, power windows door locks
    Hydroboost brakes!
    Lotsa Spare parts...
    price: 1150

The Not so good:
    The truck does have a bit of smoke- its a very diesely smelling smoke, leads me to believe perhaps the timing or the IP timing is a little off.
    Shimmys and shakes- It feels like drive line vibe, or a u-joint is on its way out. I doubt its wheel balance, it happens at all speeds.
    The drivers side power window doesnt exactly work- I can here the mechanism and window motor moving, but it is no longer connected to the glass!
    RUST- Hence the spare parts. Its got some serious rusted out doors- (Anyone got a set of burb doors?) He bought the door skins for it, but the rust is beyond that, it is into the inner skin as well. The Rockers are also on their way out, gave me replacements for those too.
    AC not exactly functional- I dont know what they did in 83, but the AC compressor is twice the size of the one in my other trucks- not only that, it is not functional at the moment.

but I didnt have any problems driving it 250 miles home in the rain!

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I'll take some tuesday. i took 7 hrs out of my study time today to go get this bad boy.. lol