Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my 1979 k5? blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Erik Aalto, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Erik Aalto

Erik Aalto Registered Member

Hey all, I'm in need of some advice. Once I got my license I got a hand-me-down 1979 k5 Blazer that my mom/brother had driven before me. I'm not really sure that it is a k5 as I was told that k5 designates the vehicle as 4wd, while mine is 2wd, so would that make it a c10? I'm not sure if this matters or not, but maybe it will. Pretty much everything in the car is stock, we had the engine rebuilt no more than 5 years ago, and runs fairly well I suppose, only has problems every once in a while. Most recently would have to be when my brother forgot to put in radiator fluid and caused some damage with that, so we have a brand new radiator and I believe that he blew the head gaskets so those were replaced too. I'm interested in doing engine work/upgrades and restoring the body/repainting. The headers are stock GM and run to a flowmaster muffler and then through a cat. I want to replace the headers, maybe even the entire exhaust system, and maybe some other minor changes. Can I stick a fat chrome intake on top of the carb, or do I have to stick with the hose/tube doodad assembly that looks so icky? I really don't know much of anything when it comes to this stuff, but I want to make the engine run better and look better... How much would body restoration/repaint(good paint job) cost on this kind of car, and how much could I expect to spend on new headers, intake, and whatever else might be useful in making my engine look/run better? It's a 350 v8 small block..

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

NEVER call it a car[​IMG] and yes it is still a K5 even though yur unlucky enough to have 2wd[​IMG]
    the intake goes UNDER the carb[​IMG] and an edelbrock performer intake will wake it up and be somewhat cheap horsepower.
    a holley or edelbrock carb will also do wonders from the stock one you have one there,,if you want something more expensive, get a quadrajet,they work a lot better when they do actually work.
    a cheap set of headers would be arouns $100 but i don't recomend those,,i'd go for the hooker headers or another name brand,,prolly round $150 to $250 depending on where and what kind.
    paint can run from a decent job being in the $1500 range to anything of you wildest dreams going for $20,000 or more.
    it all depends on what kind of paint you want,,color,,flat or metal flake, base or clear coat. TON'S of options here
    a true dual exhaust system with muffler's might put you in about the $500 to $1000 depending on what size pipe,muffler's and cat's you get.

welcome to the most addicting web page on the net[​IMG]

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

oh yeah,,it also help's out a lot if you fill out your profile,,lot's of people on here and can more than likely find someone near you,and also shop's and bargain's [​IMG]

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

4. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

check out the pictures of my brothers 2wd it is very nice it also has a very nice paint job

http://community.webshots.com/user/blazentank

"When you say i drive a fullsize are you calling my wife fat."
    J/K i was bored and made that up i don't even have a wife i'am only 17.

5. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazentank>clicky</a>

hola