Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 1990 sub wont start, need a little help please.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Sep 5, 2002.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Its been 2 years since I logged on (No problems at all with my rig) However, I just tried to start my beast and it just cranks over no combustion. I'm thinking fuel pump but I thought I'd better ask first. Should you be able to hear the pump with the ignition in the on position? Is there a designated fuse for this? She ran great before I parked her 2 days ago. Yes, there is plenty of gas in the tank. Thanks.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes, fuses are a good place to start. Check fuses for fuel pump and ignition. You may have also lost the "pump prime" relay. If so, it would still start after you crank the engine long enough to get some oil pressure.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

check your ignition module and pick up module in the distributor. make sure there is a spark. Pull out a spark plug and keep the wire connected. Ground it against the block or something else ,and try to start. if there is no spark, its an ignition problem, otherwise, probably fuel.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Have someone spray some starting fluid down the throttle body (or dump a little gas in) while you try to start it. If it starts then, it is a fuel problem. Make sure the fuse and relay are good first, then replace the bad pump.

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

You should be able to hear the fuel pump come on. When you start it, turn the key to "on" and leave it there for a second. You'll hear a little whine and a little click. That's the fuel pump. I would check for spark though.