Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 1st tow rig

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by mudhound72, Mar 8, 2005.

1. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a 73 Burb 3/4 ton 2x4 with 1 ton rear springs.

The body is in decent shape with some rust that needs repair the rear gate window and latch even works :D

The coolest part is that it has a 500 Cadlic and a th400

Drove it 40 mi home runs good needs a tune up and some other minor repair before being reddy for tow duty.

30705 001.jpg

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Some rust eh? Sweet truck none-the-less. I wonder how that caddy will perform towing? My girlfriend's mom said back in the 60s it was all the rage to tow horse trailers with caddies so I guess they get the job done.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Depending on the year and condition the motor is in, that sucker will hang with the newer stock diesels. Nothing says grunt like a 500ci caddy:pimp:

Nice score for sure.

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

If I didn't buy my 468, I would have gotten a Cadilac Big Block. Tons of torque in that baby!

5. mudhound72

It is going to be a sweet tow rig when it is done, I few minor things and it is road worthy.

How does a preson ID the motor year to get stuff like tune up parts, what should the timing be set at, and any other tuning tips I might need to know, never worked on one before so I would like a little info before I dive into tuning it up

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Some rust? Looks like my old '84 'burb I bought in Minnesota... The floor boards were no longer connected to the sides of the truck after a couple of years, probably wasn't much holding it together before that either. When I scrapped it I scarred the S#!T out of me to see that the fire wall and gravity was all that held the body down to the frame.

7. mudhound72

I am starting to do some work on it now sence I cleaned out the shop to get it in, the wireing under the dash is a rats nest trying to get all the heater controls to function.

Picked up a new switch for the rear window so I dont need to jump wires, and now the rear window is stuck :(

Apon closer look at the body it needs more help that I care to deal with patch the holes and screw the rest.
    Also the seam at the top is seperating the roof from the body:1zhelp:

8. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Any updates??? or any plans for it???

9. mudhound72

I have started a thred here http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131319 this is discusing were I am at. A buddy convinced me to fix it and is going to help me allong, I have the heater controls working now. Cleaned all of the trash out of the back. Just working on it when I have time.