Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my 205 is kicking out of 4LO...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Apr 14, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I tried the good ol' faithful search, but it didn't find my problem. I've got a 465/205 in my truck, with lockers in both ends. In front I have a Lock-Right, in the rear a Detroit.

The problem is when I have the truck in 4LO, the hubs locked, and the wheel turned to full lock (WTO hydro assist too), the shifter obviously moves slightly towards neutral while also quite obviously making a HORRIBLE BANG and the truck jolts. If I keep driving in circles, it keeps happening. There is no floor board interference, as I cut the hole quite large. Its like the front axle puts extra input back at the xfer case, causing it to do whatever the heck it is doing.

HELP! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ALL IDEAS WELCOME!

-Dan

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

ALL IDEAS WELCOME!

[/ QUOTE ]

it's possesed. consult a Shaman and he will remove the evil banana spirts from your t-case.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the linkage is worn so it isnt engaging fully
    test by climbing under and tapping the lower shift rail in fully

4. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    the linkage is worn so it isnt engaging fully
    test by climbing under and tapping the lower shift rail in fully

[/ QUOTE ]

And once I tap the lower rail in, what am I looking for? Thanks MJ!

-Dan

5. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Actually it would be the upper most shift rail that controls your range, but he is right about the tapping thing. I had a very similar problem just recently and found that after I cleaned the area around the shift rails on the outside of the case, and then cycled the case through the gears a few times it would stay in gear. I do suspect that the poppets on the inside of the case are not fully engaging onto your shift rails, sometimes tapping seats them a little better but replacing the springs inside would be better. Once I get my case in 4lo I find that if I drive around a bit and get the gears to lock in place that I can wheel all day in 4lo with no popping out, my 4wheel light even comes on from time to time now, yeah!

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

which kicks out? front or rear?

the upper rail controls the rear output and the lower rail controls the front output.
    basically you want to see if giving it a smack will seat it and hold.
    more of a verification deal.
    to fix it you have to remove the slop in the linkage or find what is preventing full engagement.
    bodylift?

7. KRAZIE87K5

Its the front end. I went under there and tried to knock them further into the case when shifted into 4LO, but I really didn't notice them move in any further. I took it for a quick spin/limp (the fuel injection is crapping out and the motor doesn't run real well at the moment - hence "limp") and I didn't feel it pop out!

As for the body lift question, I have the ORD 1" lift with poly mounts. I've also *cough* customized *cough* the hole that the 205 shifter comes thru in the floor to allow for plenty of clearance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is there any place that describes how to "remove the slop from the linkage?" Any thing you know of?

-Dan

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Never had that happen until i replaced my body mounts and 1" ORD body lift...
    Then next time i went wheelin it popped out of 4 low maybe 3 or 4 times... I started to think i had some interference with the linkage, that i didn't catch before i left for the trip... but I shited it through the range a few times up into 4 hi and then slammed it back into 4 low and it's seemed fine ever since.

If not, then it's probally possessed like zakk already mentioned... You'll need to find someone to perform and exorcisim on your t-case. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TNS10HYBRID

TNS10HYBRID Registered Member

Sometimes 205s just kick out randomly, use it as an excuse if you bog out! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just jam it back in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My 465 likes to come out of 3rd like everyone elses. I just put it back in gear and continue romping it.

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Perfect excuse to twin stick it.

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just jam it back in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My 465 likes to come out of 3rd like everyone elses. I just put it back in gear and continue romping it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You use 3rd gear when you're romping!?

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

interesting,
    on mine it would go front wheel drive on me
    of course I was an idiot and insisted on repeatedly ripping the front gears out looking for the problem until someone called me a BSer for claiming to have a detroit rear

slop could be at the shifter pivot bolt or at the 2 connecting rods to the plate that connects the shift rails
    it is possible that there is a wear pattern that is hanging the shift clutch