Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 208 could use a rebuild, so...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Sep 24, 2006.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

My 208 could use a rebuild side play in the slip yoke, chain slop, some seals leaking a bit), so I started thinking about a SYE with a rebuild to get rid of the slip yoke and then since I'd have to get a driveshaft built to work with that, it would be something of a job. Not to mention the 208 SYE parts, hard to find without a left-nut price tag.

I decided to just install a remanufactured and warranteed 205 behind the 700R4 (overdrive is a must for me). They won't take my 208 core for the 205, but my budget is somewhat flexible, so that's not a deal-breaker. There's the shifter issue, obviously, and the rear driveshaft difference (the 205 will be fixed yoke both outputs :waytogo:) but I figured if a transfer case was going to come out and go back in, it might as well be a basically "new" 205 that wound up under there when it was all said and done.

The 700R4-adapted 205 isn't here from the reman place yet, but I hope to have the whole swap done and driving in about 2 weeks. I keep thinking of all the potential problems and unforeseen hassles, but that's the nature of the beast.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Let me know how this turns out... I plan the same down the road, got a 205 from a 465 setup I need to go over..

Where are the adapters available?

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Unsure, but the reman place said it'll come ready to bolt up to my 700R4. It did add a little to the lead time. I'm getting the reman TC from Jasper (for the warranty).

I'm just going to drive it (with front axle engaged) to the driveshaft place (and they'll make the shaft with the truck right there in their bay). They said if i have an appointment, they'll just do it while I wait.

I didn't plan to twin stick it at this time, although I ought to do that while it'd be easiest - so I have to figure out which year full-size single stick NP205 shifter :confused: would be best (least floor cutting) for a 205 in an '85 K5/700R4. Hopefully, I can just grab that shifter from the boneyard. Probably a later model, I'm guessing. If I have to buy a new shifter, then I will twin stick it now.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Bump for updates...

Adapter info and some pics of install? :ears: