Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 2cents on Durabak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Apr 3, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Fellas, I applied Durabak liner to the entire interior, tailgate and some exterior in my Blazer this past December. I put foam cushioner and carpet back in the Blazer. I have no problems with it in my tub, b/c carpet is over it. But this past weekend I was cleaning out my garage with my bros and had to load three full loads of junk from the garage into my Blazer. As we were loading stuff, sometimes we would hit the tailgate a little with old bikes, bed rails, and stuff like that. Well, the Durabak chipped off to bare metal. My tailgate is chipped up pretty bad now. Obviously it would be worse w/o the lining, but I thought that stuff didn't chip off. And it was not like we really abused it. I'll take pics and post them on here for yall to look at. But, this summer, I'm gonna apply Herculiner to my top, and make a comparison. That's just my 2cents. That stuff isn't as invincible as they say it is. But it definately helps and is a lot less than LineX and Rhino.
    Boss

2. cocky

cocky Registered Member

Did the durabak cut down on road noise? I've heard it does and That is one of the main reasons i want to do mine.

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

3. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

I am betting that you did not sand the tailgate so the Durabak could stick to it better. It would probably be a good idea to prep the high wear areas like the tailgate.

4. Boss

Yes, it did cut some road noise some, but it wasn't like anything major, but good enough for me.
    Glenn: Yes, I did sand the gate down, I sanded the entire tub. I followed every specific instruction the guy told me to. For about $200 for everything, I made damn sure I did.
    Boss

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just for the sake of reposting this information. Herculiner isn't really any better. A friend has some on his Sami, and its chipping off also. I doubt that it will be any better than Durabak.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. Boss

Corey,
    Yeah, I figured that, but the only reason why I would apply Herculiner to my top instead of Durabak is b/c Durabak has rubber chips in it, to prevent skid and it looks cool in the tub, but not on the hard top. Herculiner is more smooth I think.
    Boss