Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 2nd Raptor bites the dust.........Please help, advice needed!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Feb 16, 2003.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

So my 2nd raptor is dying... Let me give you a little background on me before i tell the story.

I attend Texas A&M University which means I don't have a lot of time or money. When i bought my first raptor I had just gotten into wheeling and didn't know much, but i had blown the original 700R4. So I looked for the most reasonable and well built transmission i could find and i found the Raptor. If I would have known better I would have put in a SM-465 and never worried again. Anyways, I thought it would last me until i got out of college, but it went out in January of 2002. At that time, I knew better, but they were the cheapest to rebuild it since they built it in the first place. I had to do this for lack of time and money. The rest of the details are below.

The first Raptor I bought was on August 11, 2000. It died in january of 2002, so it had a life of 17 months. It only had 10,000 miles on it. So I had no time or much money and they said they would fix it for their cost on parts, and labor. They were much cheaper than any other place would even look at it. I was glad, but pissed because i had no choice and obviously that transmission should not have gone that quick. So here I sit a year later with the same problem. I haven't contacted them yet, I want some advice first. I am currently in the process of swapping in a SM-465 as soon as i can find hydraulic clutch parts, so i don't want another one of their transsmissions, maybe just money???? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I know other people on this site have had problems with their Raptor's. Do any of you remember who it was?? I know he was in a big dispute with them. I have now wasted $1500 dollars with them, I wish i would have just swaped in a 465. Thanks in advance - Doug

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Did a little search and this is what you want---> Raptor problem Good Luck!!

Stomper /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What has the manufacturer said about the problem? Are they standing behind their product?

Ken H.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It was Tori89, he's a friend, and he actually got it fixed after this thread you see in the link below your post.
    They had so many emails and calls from people here that they fixed it for him, but I still think they are not the best people to deal with.
    And as for money, dream on, the only thing you could expect from them is a rebuild that you can turn around and sell for cheap and get some money to yourself.
    465 is the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Doug, sorry to hear about your tranny. What exactly is it doing anyway ?
    I was the other poor soul that had Raptor problems. But with the help of the CK5 comunity, I was able to get the Transmission Center to replace my Raptor. I have not put alot of miles on it since the swap, maybe only 4 or 5,000
    but so far no problems.

Keep us informed on what happens.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I just read your thread from last fall about your issues with your transmission...

and I'll never suggest anyone go there again.

I was going to buy my beef-up parts from them but now I'm not so sure. If they are that much of a pain with transmissions they built I can only imagine what would happen if I grenaded one of their planetary gearsets and gave them a phone call. I'm pretty hard on transmissions (well, stupid pedal) even though I keep them cool. I'm always waiting to blow a planetary gearset. I plan on getting into the upper 350 horse range this summer and I'm sure she's going to cry murder.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If I was you, I would call the BBB in your area and forward them a couple of links to CK5 in your message. There is more than enough ammo here to prompt them to at least look into Raptor's business practices.

Perhaps it's time for another CK5 "reminder" that the customer is always right. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Ok for those of us who dont know, what the hell is a rapture??? I thought you were talking about a quad or a bird. For the life of me I have never heard of a rapture transmission. Whats it out of etc.. Best of luck.

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok for those of us who dont know, what the hell is a rapture??? I thought you were talking about a quad or a bird. For the life of me I have never heard of a rapture transmission. Whats it out of etc.. Best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a "high performance" 700r4 tranny.

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually rapture is talked about in the Bible specifically in Revelations; raptor is a smaller dinosaur or a bird or a 4 wheeler or in this case transmissions that are supposed to be purpose built to handle the stress of four wheeling as well as other endeavors, http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700MegaRaptor.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Buy a GM Certa tranny from GM. they are like 1,300 bucks and work great. I have had them hold up to blown 383s, and even 454s. And the best part is if it does let go, they have a 3yr/50,000 mile warranty nationwide. They even include the labor, so it costs you nothing to get them warrantied out.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I second that ! That will be my next tranny.

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Buy a GM Certa tranny from GM. they are like 1,300 bucks and work great. I have had them hold up to blown 383s, and even 454s. And the best part is if it does let go, they have a 3yr/50,000 mile warranty nationwide. They even include the labor, so it costs you nothing to get them warrantied out.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a website?